Director of Policy Planning
|Director of Policy Planning|
|Appointer||United States Secretary of State|
|Inaugural holder||George F. Kennan|
The Director of Policy Planning is the United States Department of State official in charge of the department's internal think tank, the Policy Planning Staff. In the department, the Director of Policy Planning has a rank equivalent to Assistant Secretary. The position has traditionally been held by many members of the U.S. foreign policy establishment. Former Directors of Policy Planning include two National Security Advisors, a President of the World Bank, and several presidents of the prestigious Council on Foreign Relations.
Directors of Policy Planning
- "Assistant Secretaries and Equivalent Rank". U.S. Department of State. January 20, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- "Department Organization Chart". U.S. Department of State. March 2014. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- "Mort Halperin". www.opensocietyfoundations.org. Retrieved 2020-05-21.
- State Department profile for David McKean
- "Kiron Skinner". state.gov. Archived from the original on 2018-11-17.
- "Peter Berkowitz". United States Department of State. Retrieved 2019-11-03.