This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|This article is part of a series on|
|European Union portal|
The Directorate-General for Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union (DG FISMA) is a Directorate-General (DG) of the European Commission. It is one of the thirty three DG's that are created and named to reflect their functions.
The main responsibilities of the Directorate-General FISMA is initiating and implementing EU policy in the area of Banking and Finance, including the Capital Markets Union as well as Corporate reporting and auditing due to operate from 2019.
After the financial crisis that began in 2008, the EU responded with a series of reforms to ensure financial market stability and to enhance the supervision of financial markets.
The operational role of DG FISMA is to ensure that EU legislation is fully implemented, to monitor the effectiveness of these reforms and to respond to any further financial risks that may become apparent.
According to its latest organigram the DG FISMA is organized in five directorates:
- Dir A - General affairs
- Dir B - Horizontal policies
- Dir C - Financial markets
- Dir D - Bank, insurance and financial crime
- Dir E - Financial systems and crisis management
In the current legislature period (2019-2024) DG FISMA focuses on the achievement of one of the six top European Commission's political priorities, namely "An economy that works for people".
- European Commissioner for Financial Stability, Financial Services and the Capital Markets Union
- Capital Markets Union
- European Coal and Steel Community (EGKS)
- Treaty of Rome
- Single European Act
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- European Commission, Overview of the Capital Markets Union, accessed 9 May 2018
- European Commission, , accessed 12 Aug 2020
- European Commission, DG FISMA Organisation Chart, 16 July 2020, English, accessed 12 Aug 2020
- European Commission, European Commission, DG FISMA Mission Statement, accessed 12 Aug 2020