Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (European Commission)
This article is part of a series on the
The Directorate-General for Research and Innovation is a Directorate-General of the European Commission, located in Brussels, and responsible for the European Union's research and innovation policy and coordination of research and innovation activities. It is headed by Commissioner Carlos Moedas and Director-General Robert-Jan Smits.
The Directorate-General for Research and Innovation defines and implements European Research and Innovation (R&I) policy with a view to achieving the goals of the Europe 2020 strategy and its key flagship initiative, the Innovation Union.
To do so, the DG contributes to the European Semester by analysing national R&I policies, by assessing their strengths and weaknesses, and by formulating country specific recommendations where necessary. It monitors and contributes to the realisation of the Innovation Union flagship initiative and the completion of the European Research Area. It funds excellent Research and Innovation through Framework Programmes (currently Horizon 2020) taking a strategic programming approach.
Long-term Objective (2020)
Make Europe a better place to live and work, by developing and implementing R&I policy to improve Europe's competitiveness, boost its growth, create jobs, and tackle the main current and future societal challenges. 
Since the organisation of the DG changes from time to time, is best to refer to the Organisation Chart on the Research and Innovation web site.
To fulfil its mission, the Directorate General works closely with several other Commission departments (DGs) and executive agencies.
- Science and technology in Europe
- Horizon 2020
- EURAXESS - researchers in motion
- Joint Research Centre (a DG of the European Commission)
- Lisbon Strategy
- European Charter for Researchers
- European Research Council (ERC)
- European Institute of Technology (EIT)
- "Directorate-General for Research & Innovation - Mission - Research & Innovation - European Commission". Ec.europa.eu. Retrieved 2016-01-06.
- "What is Horizon 2020? - European Commission". Ec.europa.eu. Retrieved 2016-01-06.
- "Related Commission departments (DGs) & agencies - Research & Innovation - European Commission". Ec.europa.eu. 2015-08-25. Retrieved 2016-01-06.