Directorate-General of Antiquities and Museums
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Jurisdiction||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Parent department||Ministry of Culture|
|Parent agency||Government of Syria|
The Directorate-General for Antiquities and Museums (DGAM; Arabic: المديرية العامة للآثار والمتاحف, French: La Direction Générale des Antiquités et des Musées) is a Syrian government owned agency that is responsible for the protection, promotion and excavation activities in all sites of national heritage in the country. The directorate was established shortly after Syria's independence in 1946 under the central supervision of the Ministry of Culture. In 2012, Prof. Dr. Maamoun Abdulkarim was appointed as director-general until 26 Sep. 2017.
The Directorate-General is split into several different direct directorates including:
- Directorate of Museum Affairs: Responsible for the management and development of all Syrian museums, in addition to supervising any foreign exhibition of Syrian artifacts.
- Directorate of Excavations and Archaeological Studies: Responsible for the managing, organizing and supervising excavation works inside Syria and cataloging any findings.
- Al-Bassel Center for Archaeological Research and Training: Responsible for the over-all process of research and training, in terms of publications and special-purpose courses.
- Directorate of Planning and Statistics
- Directorate of Historic Buildings
- Directorate of World Heritage Sites
- Directorate of Information Communication & Technology: Responsible for providing the proper tools, infrastructure, and training to develop, manage, and publish databases of museum objects, historical sites and monuments, and spatial information to help decision-makers.
As of 2011, its library contains some 14,000 volumes.
- "DGAM: Turkish aggression is targeting archeological sites dating back to thousands of years". Syrian Arab News Agency. 10 October 2019. Retrieved 24 November 2021.
- About the Directorate. The DGAM Website, retrieved 17 February 2011
- ًWMF Journal. The Impact of War on Syria's Archaeological Sites and Damage Prevention Efforts. Archived from the original on 2014-12-10. Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- World Guide to Libraries (25th ed.), De Gruyter Saur, 2011
- Official website (in Arabic)