Directorate General of Foreign Trade
The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) is the agency of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the Government of India responsible for administering laws regarding foreign trade and foreign investment in India.
The Directorate General of foreign Trade (DGFT) is the agency of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the Government of India, responsible for execution of the import and export Policies of India. It was earlier known as Chief Controller of Imports & Exports (CCI&E) till 1991. DGFT plays a very important role in the development of trading relations with various other nations and thus help in improving not only the economic growth but also provides a certain impetus needed in the trade industry. For promoting exports and imports DGFT establish its regional offices across the country.
Directorate General of Foreign Trade is an attached office of the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry. It’s headquartered in Udyog Bhavan, New Delhi. Under its jurisdiction, there are four Zonal Offices at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai headed by Zonal Joint Director General of Foreign Trade. There are 35 Regional Authorities all over the country.
Functions and responsibilities of DGFT:
- DGFT entrusted with the responsibility of implementing various policies regarding trade for example, Foreign Trade Policy.
- DGFT is the licensing authority for exporters, importers, and export and import business.
- DGFT can prohibit, restrict and regulate exports and imports.
- DGFT has important role to issue Notifications, Public notices, Circulars, etc.
- DGFT grant 10 digit IEC (Importer Exporter Code), which is a primary requirement to Import Export
- DGFT introduces different schemes from time to time regarding trade benefits throughout the country.
- DGFT has introduced ITC (HS CODE) schedule-1 for import items in India and Schedule-2 for Export items from India.
-  Archived October 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "DGFT Notifications | DGFT Circulars | DGFT Public Notice | DGFT India". Cybex.in. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- "DGFT India | Notification, Circular, Public Notices | Latest & Updated Notifications". Dgft-notifications.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-18. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- "Directorate General of Foreign Trade | DGFT India | DGFT". DGFT India. Archived from the original on 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|