Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directorate of Revenue Intelligence|
|Governing body||Government of India|
|General nature||• Federal law enforcement|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Parent agency||Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) (erstwhile Central Board of Excise and Customs)|
The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) is an Indian intelligence agency. It is India's chief anti-smuggling intelligence, investigations and operations agency.
The Directorate is run by officers from the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) who are posted in its various Zonal Units as well as in Indian embassies abroad as part of the Customs Overseas Intelligence Network. It is headed by a Director General of the rank of Special Secretary to the Government of India.
DRI works to secure India's national and economic security by preventing the outright smuggling of contraband such as firearms, gold, narcotics, Fake Indian Currency notes, antiques, wildlife and environmental products. Moreover, it also works to prevent the proliferation of black money, commercial frauds and trade based money laundering. Though its early days were committed to combating the smuggling in of gold, it now also addresses narcotics and economic crimes. DRI routinely makes fake Indian currency note seizures. In the last 5 years, the DRI has seized more than 540 kg of heroin and 7,409 kg of ephedrine along with other narcotics and psychotropic substances.
DRI is the major intelligence agency which enforces the prohibition of the smuggling of items including drugs, gold, diamonds, electronics, foreign currency, and counterfeit Indian currency. The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence functions under the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs in the Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue, Government Of India. Headed by Director General (Chief Commissioner Rank) in New Delhi, it is divided into seven zones, each under the charge of an Additional Director General (Commissioner Rank). It is further sub-divided into Regional Units, Sub-Regional Units and Intelligence Cells with a complement of Additional Directors, Joint Directors, Deputy Directors, Assistant Directors, Senior Intelligence Officers and Intelligence Officers.
- Director General (Chief Commissioner)
- Addl. Director General (Commissioner)
- Addl. Director (Addl. Commissioner)
- Joint Director (Joint Commissioner)
- Deputy Director (Deputy Commissioner)
- Asst. Director (Asstt. Commissioner)
- Sr. Intelligence Officer (Superintendent of Customs & Central Excise / Appraising Officers of Customs)
- Intelligence Officer (Inspector/Examiner/Preventive Officers of Customs & Central Excise)
- Class III & Class IV Staff (Ministerial & Constables)
- Officers of DRI are officers from Indian Customs & Central Excise Department on Deputation
A TV serial on Sony Channel was aired on every Thursday, named Powder, a production of Yashraj Pictures, which was based on DRI.
- Vyas, Sharad. "DRI unearths Rs. 2,240 cr. banking-hawala scam". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-03-09.