Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Directorate of Revenue Intelligence|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Governing body||Government of India|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Agency executive||Jayant Misra, Director General|
|Parent agency||Central Board of Excise and Customs|
The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) is an Indian intelligence agency.
The Directorate is run by officers from Central Excise and Customs. The organisation runs on much smaller staff than other intelligence agencies such as IB or state police organisations. Though its early days were committed to combating the smuggling in of gold, it now also addresses narcotics and economic crimes. DRI routinely makes fake Indian currency note seizures. In the last 5 years, the DRI has seized more than 540 kg of heroin and 7,409 kg of ephedrine along with other narcotics and psychotropic substances.
DRI is the major intelligence agency which enforces the prohibition of the smuggling of items including drugs, gold, diamonds, electronics, foreign currency, and counterfeit Indian currency. The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence functions under the Central Board of Excise and Customs in the Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue. Headed by Director General (Chief Commissioner Rank) in New Delhi, it is divided into seven zones, each under the charge of an Additional Director General (Commissioner Rank). It is further sub-divided into Regional Units, Sub-Regional Units and Intelligence Cells with a complement of Additional Directors, Joint Directors, Deputy Directors, Assistant Directors, Senior Intelligence Officers and Intelligence Officers.
- Director General (Chief Commissioner)
- Addl. Director General (Commissioner)
- Addl. Director (Addl. Commissioner)
- Joint Director (Joint Commissioner)
- Deputy Director (Deputy Commissioner)
- Asst. Director (Asstt. Commissioner)
- Sr. Intelligence Officer (Superintendent of Customs & Central Excise / Appraising Officers of Customs)
- Intelligence Officer (Inspector/Examiner/Preventive Officers of Customs & Central Excise)
- Class III & Class IV Staff (Ministerial & Constables)
- Officers of DRI are officers from Indian Customs & Central Excise Department on Deputation
A TV serial on Sony Channel was aired on every Thursday, named Powder, a production of Yashraj Pictures, which was based on DRI.
- Vyas, Sharad. "DRI unearths Rs. 2,240 cr. banking-hawala scam". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-03-09.