List of directorial debuts
This is a list of film directorial debuts in chronological order. The films and dates referred to are a director's first commercial theatrical release.
♦ Indicates where a director has created other earlier works for television
# Indicates when a director's earlier work is uncredited
† Indicates when a director's earlier work has not been released in cinemas, for example film school productions, or short films or music videos.
Please refer to individual entries for further detail.
- 1 1890s
- 2 1900s
- 3 1910s
- 4 1920s
- 5 1930s
- 6 1940s
- 7 1950s
- 8 1960s
- 9 1970s
- 10 1980s
- 11 1990s
- 12 2000s
- 13 2010s
- 14 See also
- 15 References
- 16 Notes
- "The 50 greatest debut movies: part three". Time Out. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- "Eric's Top 10 Directorial Debuts". scene-stealers.com. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "The 50 greatest debut movies: part five". Time Out. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- Lloyd, Ann; Robinson, David (1987). The Illustrated History of Cinema. Macmillan. p. 162. ISBN 978-0-02-919241-2.
- "The 50 greatest debut movies: part two". Time Out. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- "The 50 greatest debut movies: part six". Time Out. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- "The 50 greatest debut movies: part four". Time Out. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- Jarecki, Nicholas. Breaking In — How 20 Film Directors Got Their Start. ISBN 0-7679-0674-8.
- Lowenstein, Stephen. My First Movie. ISBN 0-375-42081-9.
- "Time Out's 50 greatest directorial debuts of all time". Time Out. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- "The Top Grossing Directorial Debuts of All-time". Indiewire.com. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- "J.D.'s Top 10 Directorial Debuts". scene-stealers.com. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "10 worst-reviewed directorial debuts since 1990". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- Kevin Ouellette (2008-07-15). "Review: Dangan Runner". Nippon Cinema. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Top 5 Female Directorial Debuts". Soundonsight.org. 24 Oct 2011.
- "10 best-reviewed directorial debuts since 1990". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- "The Doom Dispatch: The Ten best Directorial Debuts of the Decade". www.geeksofdoom.com. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Sob Stories: The quiet beauty of Man Push Cart". Slate Magazine. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- Bradshaw, Peter (2009-10-08). "Katalin Varga". London: Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- "TIFF '10:Day 7". AVClub.com. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- "SXSW Review: Attack The Block Could Be The Best Action Movie of the Year". Cinemablend.com. March 17, 2011.
- Kevin Ma (June 1, 2014). "Bona announces Q1 2014 results". Film Business Asia. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- Co-directed with Robert N. Bradbury
- Co-directed with Alexander Esway
- as Detlef Sierck
- Co-directed with Anthony Hankey
- Co-directed with Gunther von Fritsch
- Co-directed with Brian Desmond Hurst
- Co-directed with Robert Jordan Hill
- Co-directed with Yakov Bazelyan
- co-directed with Bradley R. Swirnoff
- co-directed with Rintaro
- co-directed with Kenneth Tsang
- Co-directed with Jesse Wells
- Co-directed with Frank Lustig
- Co-directed with David Van Taylor
- Co-directed with Quentin Lee
- co-directed with John Lasseter
- co-directed with Jim Wynorski
- Co-directed with David Silverman
- Co-directed with Corey Yuen
- Co-directed with Ryan Fleck
- Co-directed with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino
- Co-directed with Vincent Paronnaud
- Co-directed with Matthew Robinson
- Co-directed with Pete Docter
- Co-directed with Alastair Fothergill
- Co-directed with Guy Jenkin
- Co-directed with Jocelyn Towne
- Co-directed with Byron Howard and Rich Moore
- Co-directed with Mike Thurmeier
- Co-directed with Mike Mitchell
- As Declan Dale
- Co-directed with Andrew Stanton
- Co-directed with Nicholas Stoller
- Co-directed with Conrad Vernon