Verbeuren in February 2009
8 January 1975|
|Genres||Heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal, grindcore, melodic death metal, industrial metal, technical death metal|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, guitar|
|Associated acts||Megadeth, Soilwork, Scarve, Aborted, The Devin Townsend Project, Bent Sea|
Dirk Verbeuren (8 January 1975, Antwerp) is a Belgian musician, most known for having been the drummer of prominent Swedish melodic death metal band Soilwork with whom he has recorded five full-length albums and a live DVD/Blu-ray, and performed in Europe, The United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Russia and China as a headlining act between early 2004 and July 2016. As of 2016, he left Soilwork to join thrash metal band Megadeth, as a full-time member.
Verbeuren is highly renowned in the metal scene for his studio recordings and/or live performances and recordings with Devin Townsend Project, Fredrik Thordendal of Meshuggah, Satyricon, Jeff Loomis, Warrel Dane, Aborted, Naglfar, Scarve, Powermad, The Project Hate MCMXCIX and many more.
When he's not working as a session drummer at his Die Crawling Studio or touring worldwide as a drum clinician for Tama drums and Meinl cymbals, Verbeuren shares his knowledge and expertise through his Dirk Blasts instructional videos, in-person and online drum lessons. He's accumulated two decades of experience as a teacher, including ten years at Music Academy International in Nancy, France.
In July 2016 it was announced that Verbeuren was the new official drummer for Megadeth who he had been touring with since May while filling in for Chris Adler. By joining Megadeth, Verbeuren officially left Soilwork.
He cites Dave Lombardo and Mick Harris as earliest influences on his drumming. Other influences include Gavin Harrison, Sean Reinert, Gene Hoglan, Tomas Haake, Steve Flynn, Pete Sandoval, Morgan Ågren, Tony Laureano and Chad Smith. Verbeuren is also a fan of hip hop music and mentioned The Beastie Boys, Run–D.M.C. and Public Enemy as his favourite hip hop groups in the teen years.
Verbeuren is endorsed by Tama drums and sticks, Meinl cymbals, Evans Drumheads, Toontrack software, dB drumshoes and Alien Ears in-ear monitors. He recorded four elaborate MIDI drum packs for Toontrack: Library of the Extreme: Blasts and Fills, Death & Thrash, Fill Insanity and Metal Beats and contributed MIDI tracks to The Metal Foundry SDX and Metal! EZX.
Bands and collaborations
- Anatomy of I (with Steve DiGiorgio of Testament and Death)
- Jeff Loomis (Arch Enemy, Nevermore)
- The Devin Townsend Project
- One-Way Mirror (with Guillaume Bideau of Mnemic and Scarve)
- The Project Hate MCMXCIX
- Pulse of Nebulae
- Satyricon (live session drums, January 2014)
- Warrel Dane of Nevermore and Sanctuary
- Abyssal Vortex
- Six Tears of Sorrow (1996)
- Translucence (2000)
- Luminiferous (2002)
- Irradiant (2004)
- The Undercurrent (2007)
- Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done (2003)
- The Haematobic EP (EP) (2004)
- Coronary Reconstruction (2010)
- Stabbing the Drama (2005)
- Sworn to a Great Divide (2007)
- The Panic Broadcast (2010)
- The Living Infinite (2013)
- Beyond the Infinite (EP) (2014)
- The Ride Majestic (2015)
- Praises to the War Machine (2008)
- One-Way Mirror (2008)
- Noistalgia (2011)
- Double Penetration (2013)
- Animalist (2014)
- Ascend (2016)
Devin Townsend Project
- Deconstruction (2011)
- Téras (2012)
- Plains of Oblivion (2012)
The Project Hate MCMXCIX
- Infinite (2015)
- Grim (2016)
- Black Laden Crown (2017)
- "Dirk Verbeuren - Encyclopaedia Metallum". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- Dirk Verbeuren profile on Meinl Cymbals. Retrieved on August 11, 2012.
- "rockdetector.com artist profile: Soilwork" Archived 2014-12-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Soilwork Drummer Discusses New Album, Future Of Scarve"
- "dirkverbeuren.com session work page" Archived 2015-08-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- "dirkverbeuren.com premium lessons page
- "Music Academy International - official website
-  "bentsea.com - about"
- "Dirk Verbeuren von Soilwork im peta2-Spotlight" (in German and English). Peta2. 2013. Archived from the original on June 23, 2016. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "A Toontrack Interview with Soilwork Drummer Dirk Verbeuren - GearGods". December 3, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2017.
- "Tama artist interview: Dirk Verbeuren". Tama Drums. May 28, 2008. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- "Dirk Verbeuren | TAMA Drums"
- "TAMA Drums | Dirk Verbeuren (SOILWORK) Signature Stick"
- "Dirk Verbeuren - MEINL cymbals: artists"
- "Evans Drumheads : Artist Detail : Dirk Verbeuren"
- "dB Drumshoes, Belleville, IL - Artist Roster"
-  "toontrack.com MIDI packs - Library Of The Extreme 1"
-  "toontrack.com MIDI packs - Library Of The Extreme 2"
-  "toontrack.com MIDI packs - Library Of The Extreme 3"
-  "toontrack.com MIDI packs - Metal Beats"
-  "toontrack.com Superior line - The Metal Foundry SDX"
-  "toontrack.com EZdrummer line - Metal! EZX"
-  "bravewords.com 70.000 Tons of Metal 2014 report and photos, part 1"
- "FREYA Feat. MEGADETH/Ex-SOILWORK Drummer DIRK VERBEUREN: 'Eyes Of Malevolence' Song Streaming". Blabbermouth.net. August 22, 2016. Archived from the original on August 23, 2016. Retrieved November 8, 2017.