Dirk van Dalen
Van Dalen studied mathematics and physics and astronomy at the University of Amsterdam. Inspired by the work of LEJ Brouwer and Arend Heyting, he received his Ph.D. in 1963 from the University of Amsterdam for the thesis Extension problems in intuitionistic plane Projective geometry. From 1964 to 1966 Van Dalen taught logic and mathematics at MIT, and later Oxford. From 1967 he was professor at the University of Utrecht. In 2003 Dirk van Dalen was awarded the Academy Medal 2003 of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences for bringing the works of Brouwer to international attention.
- 1958: (with Yehoshua Bar-Hillel and Azriel Levy) Foundations of Set Theory, North Holland Publishing
- 1963: Extension problems in intuitionistic plane projective geometry
- 1978: (with H.C. Doets and H. De Swart) Sets: Naive, Axiomatic and Applied, Pergamon Press ISBN 0-08-021166-6
- 1980: Logic and Structure, Springer Universitext ISBN 3-540-20879-8
- 1981: (editor) Brouwer's Cambridge Lectures on Intuitionism Cambridge University Press ISBN 0521234417
- 1988: Troelstra, Anne; van Dalen, Dirk. Constructivism in Mathematics, Vol. 2. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics. ISBN 0-444-70358-6.
- 2000: (with Heinz-Dieter Ebbinghaus) "Zermelo and the Skolem Paradox", Bulletin of Symbolic Logic 6(2)
- 2001: "Intuitionistic Logic", in: The Blackwell Guide to Philosophical Logic, Lou Goble (editor), Blackwell
- 2013: L.E.J. Brouwer - Topologist, Intuitionalist, Philosopher: How mathematics is rooted in life, Springer-Verlag ISBN 9781447146155
- The article was originally created as a translation (Google) of the corresponding article in Dutch Wikipedia.
- Dirk van Dalen Festschrift, Henk Barendregt en anderen (redactie), University of Utrecht, Department of Philosophy, 1993
- Special issue: a tribute to Dirk van Dalen, Yuri Gurevich (redactie), uitgeverij North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1995.