Dirty Laundry (Carrie Underwood song)
|Single by Carrie Underwood|
|from the album Storyteller|
|Released||September 5, 2016|
|Carrie Underwood singles chronology|
"Dirty Laundry" is a song recorded by American singer and songwriter Carrie Underwood from her fifth studio album, Storyteller (2015). The song was written by Zach Crowell, Ashley Gorley, and Hillary Lindsey, with production from Jay Joyce, and was released as the fourth single from the album in the United States and Canada. The single was shipped to country radio on August 22 and made its official impact on September 5.
Composition and lyrics
"Dirty Laundry" is a song about infidelity. About the song, co-writer Ashley Gorley said, "Zach's tracks have a theme of being a little wild and dark and crazy...He was playing these tracks we went through, and all I remember is stumbling into the Ajax line, and that sounding awesome." Co-writer Hillary Lindsey said of the song, "I was so sick … They made me sing it, and I was mortified. We turned it in, and I remember Chris Oglesby [BMG vice president, creative] and Daniel Lee [BMG senior creative director] saying it was one of their favorite songs I had turned in in a while, and how great it sounded, and I was so sick."
"It's a take on a cheater in a familiar way, with the lipstick on the collar and the red wine, and there's all these tell-tale signs that he was with another woman, and it shows on his dirty laundry," Underwood said of the song. "But it's also like she airs it out for the whole world to see."
Producer and co-writer Zach Crowell said of the experience, "There was no talk of murder in this song. I wrote "Church Bells" with Hillary. I was lucky enough to write that song as well. That was the first song I’ve ever killed someone in the song. It was cool to do it, [because] we knew we were kind of taking a shot at a Carrie song, and we knew, 'Oh, she would like that, if we killed this guy.' She's not afraid to murder people in songs, but we did not kill him in "Dirty Laundry." We just announced it to the whole town."
"Dirty Laundry" was met with positive reviews from critics. Sarah Rodman of The Boston Globe magazine reviewed the song favorably, calling it "one of the best six tracks on the album", and noted it as the album highlight. Idolator praised the song stating it as "a remarkable one-two punch that blends clever lyrics with the muscular snap of arena country-rock".
Taste of Country reviewed the song, saying, "Musically this song relies on the stormy production she leaned into heavily on her Blown Away album. There’s a colorful thread that’s tied everything Underwood has done over the last five years together and she hasn’t been afraid to lean into it again and again." AXS gave a positive review of the song, writing, "By far, "Dirty Laundry" is one of the singer's boldest and most musically adventurous singles of her career. There is an intensity and fury as inescapable as "Blown Away" and "Two Black Cadillacs," but the story is fresh and windswept."
Following the release of the album, "Dirty Laundry" debuted at number 47 on the US Hot Country Songs chart for the week ending November 14, 2015, selling 3,000 copies.
After being released as the album's fourth single, the song debuted at number 51 on the Country Airplay chart and reached number two. It re-entered the Hot Country Songs chart at number 35 and reached a peak of number three. "Dirty Laundry" marks Underwood's twenty-fifth top ten single on the country charts.
On the chart dated November 5, 2016, it entered the Billboard Hot 100 at number 73 and peaked at number 48.
In Canada, the song debuted at number 50 on the Canada Country chart and has reached number one on the chart dated December 31, 2016. It also debuted at number 99 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart and reached number 71.
As of March 2017, it has sold 271,000 copies in the United States.
Underwood first performed the song live at the release party for the Storyteller album, at the iHeartRadio Theater in New York City. She has since performed the song live numerous times for the Storyteller Tour. Underwood performed the song live on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on September 16. Her next televised performance came at the 50th annual CMA Awards, where she performed "Dirty Laundry" with an all-female band that included Orianthi. 
- Digital download
- "Dirty Laundry" – 3:25
|Chart (2016–17)||Peak |
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||71|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||48|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||2|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||3|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||47|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||51|
- Basler, Brandon. "New music from Carrie Underwood". Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "Single Releases". Music Row. Archived from the original on February 12, 2014. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Carrie Airs "Dirty Laundry"". Carrie Underwood Official. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Thompson, Gayle. "Story Behind the Song: Carrie Underwood, 'Dirty Laundry'". The Boot. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Carrie Underwood Chooses 'Dirty Laundry' as Next Single". RTT News. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Lyrics Uncovered: Carrie Underwood, 'Dirty Laundry'". Taste of Country. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- [dead link]
- "Carrie Underwood's 'Storyteller': Album Review - Idolator". October 23, 2015.
- Dukes, Billy (August 12, 2016). "Carrie Underwood, 'Dirty Laundry' [Listen]". Taste of Country. United States: Townsquare Media. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Scott, Jason. "Hear Carrie Underwood's Wicked Cool New Single Dirty Laundry". AXS. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- "Carrie Underwood - Chart history - Billboard".
- "Carrie Underwood - Chart history - Billboard".
- "Carrie Underwood Notches 25th Consecutive Country Top 10". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- Bjorke, Matt (March 6, 2017). "Top 30 Digital Singles Sales Report: March 6, 2017". Roughstock.
- "CMT: Videos: Carrie Underwood: Dirty Laundry". CMT. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- "Carrie Underwood iHeartCountry Album Release Party". iHeart. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Angermiller, Michele. "Carrie Underwood's Storyteller Tour Sparkles in Philadelphia". Billboard. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "See Carrie Underwood's Sassy 'Dirty Laundry,' Chicken Dance on 'Ellen'". Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "See Carrie Underwood's Fiery 'Dirty Laundry' at the CMA Awards". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard. Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Carrie Underwood Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Billboard Canada Year-End Country Airplay of 2017". Billboard. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Country Airplay Songs – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved December 18, 2017.