Dirty Love (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Mallory Asher|
|Written by||Jenny McCarthy|
|Music by||D. A. Young|
|Edited by||Warren Bowman|
|Distributed by||First Look International|
Dirty Love is a 2005 American romantic comedy film written by and starring Jenny McCarthy and directed by John Mallory Asher. At the time of filming, McCarthy and Asher were married; they divorced the month the film was released. Playing heavily off McCarthy's reputation for toilet humor, the film was critically panned and was a box office bomb; it also received the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (September 2015)|
Struggling photographer Rebecca Sommers finds her model boyfriend Richard in bed with another woman. He also destroys all of her camera equipment. Her life falls apart, and she alternates between desire for revenge upon him, sexual promiscuity and abandonment of all hope of love. Her best friends, Michelle and Carrie, try to set her up on dates. These include one with a freakish magician and another with a man who gives her ecstasy and has a fetish for fish. She attempts to make Richard jealous by taking a director, who is reminiscent of Woody Allen, to a runway show, but he ends up vomiting on her breasts in front of everyone.
Ultimately, Rebecca realizes she should focus her energy on being with someone who truly loves her, and that turns out to be John, her nerdy but caring best male friend who has been supportive of her through the entire ordeal.
- Jenny McCarthy as Rebecca Sommers
- Eddie Kaye Thomas as John
- Carmen Electra as Michelle López
- Victor Webster as Richard
- Kam Heskin as Carrie Winters
- Deryck Whibley as Tony
- Guillermo Díaz as Tom Houdini
- Steve Jocz as Steve the drummer
- Kathy Griffin as Madame Belly
- Lochlyn Munro as Kevin
- Jessica Collins as Mandy
- John Mallory Asher as himself
- Jay Johnston as Waiter
- Judith Drake as Waitress
- David O'Donnell as Jake
- Forbes March as Mr. Hot Bacon
- Bob Glouberman as Mylo
- Rob Steiner as Henry
- Brian George as Rajul
- Jackie Harris as Pawn Shop Girl
- Amy McCarthy as Lilly
- Jonathan Torrens as Mike
- Roger Perry as Joe
- Joyce Bulifant as Mary
- Sum 41 as Themselves
Dirty Love opened theatrically on September 23, 2005 in 44 venues and earned $23,281 in its opening weekend. The film ended its run two weeks later, on October 6, 2005, having grossed a mere $36,099 in the domestic box office.
The film received extremely negative reviews from critics. It currently holds a 4% "Rotten" rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 28 reviews, with an average rating of 2.2/10. The site's consensus states: "The laugh-free Dirty Love is a comedy dead zone -- it's aggressively crude and shoddily constructed." Metacritic reports a 9 out of 100 rating, based on 12 critics, indicating "overwhelming dislike".
Film critic Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave a zero star rating and said it was the third worst film of 2005. In his written review, he stated, "Here is a film so pitiful, it doesn't rise to the level of badness. It is hopelessly incompetent."
- Worst Picture
- Worst Director (John Mallory Asher)
- Worst Actress (Jenny McCarthy)
- Worst Screenplay (McCarthy)
- Worst Supporting Actress (Carmen Electra) - lost to Paris Hilton in House of Wax
- Worst Screen Couple, (McCarthy and "anyone dumb enough to befriend or date her") - lost to Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman in Bewitched
- "Dirty Love (2005)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. October 7, 2005. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "The John Asher and Jenny McCarthy Divorce". recordssitereview.com. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "Weekend Box Office Results for September 23-25, 2005". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. September 26, 2005. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Dirty Love (2005)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Dirty Love reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Ebert, Roger (2005-09-23), "Dirty Love", Chicago Sun-Times, retrieved 2007-08-17
- 26th Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie©) Award "Winners", retrieved 2007-08-16
- Dirty Love on Internet Movie Database
- Dirty Love at Box Office Mojo
- Dirty Love at Rotten Tomatoes
- Dirty Love at Metacritic
|Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture
26th Golden Raspberry Awards
Basic Instinct 2