Disappearance of April Fabb
The photograph of April Fabb used during the Norfolk Constabulary investigation.
22 April 1955
|Disappeared||8 April 1969 (aged 13)|
between the villages of Metton and Roughton, Norfolk, United Kingdom
|Status||Missing for 49 years, 9 months and 11 days|
|Residence||Metton, Norfolk, England|
At around 1:40 pm on Tuesday 8 April 1969, Fabb left her home at 3 Council Houses, Metton to visit her sister's house in Roughton. Travelling by bicycle, she had a packet of ten cigarettes, 5½d and a handkerchief in the saddlebag, and was planning to deliver the cigarettes as a birthday present to her brother-in-law. Just after 2:00 pm, she was seen cycling along the country road towards Roughton.
At around 2:15 pm, her blue and white bicycle was found lying in a field by two Ordnance Survey workers. Despite an extensive police investigation and search of the surrounding area, no trace of Fabb was found, and the reason for her disappearance remains unknown.
At the time of the disappearance of Genette Tate in August 1978, Norfolk Constabulary pointed out to Devon and Cornwall Police that there were strong similarities with the Fabb case. Both cases are unsolved and no link between the two has ever been proven.
Her mother, Olive Fabb, died on 19 April 2013, aged 93.
- "April Fabb – Background". Norfolk Constabulary. Archived from the original on 22 February 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "Police ready to link Peter Tobin to further murders". The Scotsman. 18 June 2010. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Johnson, Dennis (22 August 1978). "Missing girl: police check unsolved 1969 file". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Malcolm Pithers "Killer faces questions on more sex murders", The Independent, 20 May 1994
- Richard Edwards "Prime suspect in 1978 murder of schoolgirl Genette Tate will not face charges", Daily Telegraph, 18 August 2008.
- Richard Batson (25 April 2013). "Missing girl April Fabb's mum dies, without knowing what happened to her daughter". Eastern Daily Press.
- Greene, Dr. Karen Shalev; Alys, Llian (2016). Missing Persons: A Handbook of Research. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-409-46802-8.
- Morson, Maurice (1995, rev: 2007, further rev: September 2012). The Lost Years: The Story of April Fabb. Redbridge Books. ISBN 978-0-9520192-7-5.
- 2018 Norfolk News article pertaining to the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of April Fabb
- April Fabb at The Doe Network