Disappearance of Najeeb Ahmed
15 October 2016|
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
|Status||Missing for 1 year, 8 months and 28 days|
Najeeb Ahmed is a missing first year M.Sc Biotechnology student of Jawaharlal Nehru University, in New Delhi, India who has been missing under suspicious circumstances since 15 October 2016 from his college campus.
Najeeb Ahmed was a newly enrolled student at JNU and he had resided in the JNU campus for hardly one week when he disappeared. The last time that anyone has seen or heard from Najeeb is in the JNU campus. It was reported that he was being treated for depression and Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) before his disappearance, according to the prescriptions found in his hostel room.
Investigation and aftermath
The Vasant Kunj Police had filed an FIR for kidnapping and wrongful confinement based on Najeeb's parents complaint. Numerous searches by Delhi Police have turned up nothing in Najeeb's disappearance. A reward of ₹100,000 (US$1,500) has been issued for any information leading to the whereabouts of Najeeb by the Delhi Police. A Special Investigating Team (SIT) of Delhi police is now investigating the case.
Jawaharlal Nehru University JNU issued a 25-point bulletin on Najeeb without mentioning of brawl a night before. The JNU Teachers' Association (JNUTA) blamed the administration for their apathy and bias in handling the issue. JNUTA has also criticized the 25-points bulletin released by the university " 'selectively omitting' the fact that Ahmed was attacked during a brawl a night before". Najeeb Ahmed's mother Fatima Nafees also accused the JNU administration of insensitivity.
On 23 October 2016, JNU students protested and blocked the Administration Building for 20 hours.
It was reported that there was an attempt on Najeeb's life. It was also reported that Najeeb might have moved to a small town to live in anonymity.
In August 2017 students and family members protested outside the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) headquarters to protest the lack of progress in the case. The Delhi High Court also reprimanded the CBI for lodging the same status report as they had lodged previously.
Some TV channels had investigated the disappearance on their own and found that Najeeb Ahmed has joined ISIS and left India via Kerala. 
- Mallick, Abhilash (20 March 2017). "Kidnapped, Missing, or Still in JNU: Where Is Najeeb Ahmed?". The Quint. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "JNU issues 25-point bulletin on Najeeb, no mention of brawl". The Times of India. 28 October 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- Haider, Tanseem (8 November 2016). "Anti-depressants, OCD prescriptions found from missing student Najeeb's room". India Today. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "JNU student claims that attempts were made to kill the missing student Najeeb Ahmed". The Indian Express. 22 October 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Rs. 1 Lakh Reward For Information On Missing JNU Student Najeeb Ahmed". NDTV. 25 October 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- . An appeal by teachers of the JNU. "Continued Absence of Najeeb Ahmad—Letter to the Editor". The Economic and Political Weekly. Mumbai, Maharashtra. 51 (43). October 25, 2016. ISSN 2349-8846. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- Gohain, Manash (October 26, 2016). "Missing student: JNU teachers' association slams varsity administration for its 25-point bulletin". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Find Missing JNU Student, Rajnath Singh Tells Delhi Police: 10 Updates". NDTV. 20 October 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- Shankar, Aranya (24 October 2016). "Najeeb Ahmad still missing, JNU students to approach LG, CM". The Indian Express. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- "Is JNU student Najeeb Ahmed living in a small town under a different identity?". India WebPortal Private Limited. 9 November 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- "NUSU protests outside CBI office". DNA India. August 10, 2017. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "I have reached my destination: Najeeb after joining ISIS". Times of India. Sep 21, 2017. Retrieved 21 Sep 2017.