Disappearance of Sandy Davidson
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sandy Jardine Davidson|
28 May 1972
23 April 1976 (aged 3)|
Bourtreehill housing estate
|Status||Missing for 42 years, 4 months and 21 days|
|Residence||Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland|
|Parent(s)||Phillip and Margaret Davidson|
Sandy Jardine Davidson (born 28 May 1972) is a Scottish boy who disappeared on 23 April 1976, when he was aged 3, whilst he was playing in the back garden of his house in the Bourtreehill housing estate in Irvine, North Ayrshire.
On 23 April 1976, Sandy Davidson was in his garden with his little sister Donna playing with their dog. They were being looked after by their grandparents, who had gone inside the house at the time. The gate flew open and their dog ran out. Sandy ran out trying to catch him. His sister Donna says that all she can remember was Sandy motioning for her to go too but she refused and went into the house to tell their grandparents.
Work ground to a halt on the new building estate nearby to search for Sandy but nobody has seen him since.
The most believed scenario is that there was a man delivering leaflets around the time of Sandy's disappearance and that he could have opened the gate and taken Sandy. Sandy's mother Margaret and father Phillip believe that it was a lonely man wanting a son.
Another theory is that he ran down to the river five minutes away and followed the dog in, and subsequently drowned.
In September 2014, the Broomlands Primary School, which was constructed around the time of Sandy's disappearance, was demolished. The police and council refused to excavate the land to search for Sandy.
In February 2015, a surprise new witness emerged who had made contact via the social networking website Facebook, claiming to have been abducted and tortured by a teenage girl at around the same time that Sandy disappeared.
- "Appeal over 1976 Sandy Davidson mystery". BBC News. 2016-04-23. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- Brown, Lex (1 May 2009). "Irvine toddler's disappearance to feature on TV". Irvine Herald. Archived from the original on 6 October 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Case Studies/Sandy Davidson - Episode 3". Sky One Online. 2009. Archived from the original on 11 September 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Kirker, Ali (17 November 2013). "Glimmer of hope for missing toddler's heartbroken family". The Sunday Post. Dundee. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Dunn, Ross (19 September 2014). "Family of missing Sandy Davidson plead with police and council chiefs to search demolished primary school". Daily Record. Glasgow. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Dunn, Ross (23 February 2015). "New Witness In Missing Sandy Davidson Case". Daily Record. Glasgow. Retrieved 15 April 2015.