Original Greek cover
|Single by Sakis Rouvas|
|from the album Ola Kala|
|Released||December 17, 2001|
|Format||CD single, promo single|
|Genre||Dance-pop, pop, club|
|Writer(s)||Desmond Child, Phoebus|
|Sakis Rouvas singles chronology|
"Disco Girl" is a song released by Greek singer Sakis Rouvas on December 17, 2001 by Minos EMI. It was released as a two track CD single with the original song and a remix, both of which were produced by Desmond Child and Phoebus.
The original Greek CD single includes bonus content along with the two versions of the song. When the CD is played on a computer, it features videos, photographs and information on Rouvas's career to date. The bonus content also features clips from the making of the four different "Disco Girl" covers in the Dominican Republic and an exclusive interview with the single's producer, Desmond Child, speaking about the production of Ola Kala and his impressions on the popular Greek musician and their collaboration.
The music video of the song was directed by French directors Antonin Bonnet and Tanguy Dairaine of the production company Happy Design and was filmed in Cape Town, South Africa. At the start of the video, Rouvas is water skiing and splashes a young woman on the beach with water when he passes. The video then moves to a bar scene before Rouvas jumps from the highest diving board of a pool, and impresses the woman. Scenes of the two spending time together are seen next. When the woman falls asleep, Rouvas steals a large diamond from her safe causing a brief police chase which he escapes from. The video ends with Rouvas joining three women on a speedboat and dropping the diamond into the ocean.
Charts and certifications
"Disco Girl" received that platinum certification in Greece before the single was even released, selling over 20,000 copies. The award was officially presented to Rouvas on January 26, 2002 during a certification party held at NJV-Athens Plaza in Syntagma Square.
The song debuted on the Greek Singles Chart at number three during the week of December 24, 2001 before moving and peaking at number one the next week. After a one-week slide back to number three, the song returned to number one for its second and final week in the position. The song left the chart in the middle of 2002 after 18 weeks on the chart. It returned to the singles chart in September 2005 for one week at number 19 leading to a total of 19 weeks on the chart.
|Greek Singles Chart||1||19||Platinum|
|French Singles Chart||79||7||–|
Arion Music Awards
- 2002: Best Male Pop Singer
|Greece||December 17, 2001||EMI/Minos|
|Cyprus||December 17, 2001||EMI/Minos|
|France||June 17, 2002||ULM|
- "Κυκλοφορεί το Disco Girl!" (in Greek). MAD TV. December 28, 2001. Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- "Sakis! Κυκλοφόρησε και στη Γαλλία!" (in Greek). MAD TV. July 3, 2002. Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- Στη Νότια Αφρική ο Σάκης (in Greek). MAD TV. February 28, 2002. Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- "Πλατινένια απονομή και prive party!!!" (in Greek). MAD TV. January 25, 2002. Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- "Πλατινένιο το"Disco Girl"" (in Greek). MAD TV. January 10, 2002. Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- "Sakis Rouvas – Disco Girl Charts". Top 40 Charts. September 25, 2002. Retrieved October 30, 2008.
- "Disco Girl Charts" (in French). LesCharts. August 10, 2002. Retrieved October 30, 2008.