This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Launched||January 1, 1995; 22 years ago|
|Owned by||Bell Media|
CTV Specialty Television (80% and managing partner)
Discovery, Inc. (20%)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Slogan||Grab Life by the Globe|
|Formerly called||Discovery Channel (1995–2017)|
|Sister channel(s)||Animal Planet|
|Bell TV||Channel 520 (SD)|
Channel 1602 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 505 (SD)|
Channels 93 and 593 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Rogers Cable: Channel 42 (HD), Channel 244 (SD)|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 286 (SD)|
Channel 430 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 520 (SD)|
Channel 1520 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 104 (SD)|
Channel 1104 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 51 (SD)|
Channel 351 (HD)
|Telus Optik TV||Channel 701 (HD)|
Channel 9701 (SD)
|VMedia||Channel 42 (HD)|
Discovery is a Canadian English language Category A cable and satellite specialty channel that is owned by CTV Specialty Television Inc. (a joint venture between Bell Media (80%) and ESPN Inc. (20%), which owns 80% majority of the channel) and Discovery, Inc. (which owns the remaining 20%). The channel is devoted to nature, adventure, science and technology programming.
Licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) in 1994, Discovery Channel launched on January 1, 1995 under the ownership of NetStar Communications Inc. On March 24, 2000, the CRTC approved a proposal by CTV Inc. to acquire an 80% voting interest in NetStar Communications Inc. (the remaining 20% owned by ESPN Inc.). CTV renamed the company CTV Speciality Television Inc.
Although much of Discovery's programming is shared with its American counterpart, the Canadian channel has separate ownership and produces much of its own programming as well. Most notably, the channel produced a daily science news program, Daily Planet, canceled in May 2018. Some of the imported programs from the flagship Discovery Channel are presented differently than in the United States, with different air dates for shows such as The Deadliest Catch (Canadian air dates for episodes during the fourth season aired approximately one month after their U.S. debut), and Dirty Jobs (Discovery Channel Canada broadcasts are edited to remove appeals for submissions). Discovery Channel Canada also produces its own version of the Cash Cab game show, in lieu of broadcasting the American version (although the host of the Canadian version has on one occasion hosted the U.S. program as well).
Despite the inclusion of American programming, the Canadian programming lineup more so resembles the American version of Science than the U.S. Discovery Channel.[original research?] In fact, some programs seen on Science (such as How It's Made, Building the Ultimate and Ultimate Cars) were produced by Discovery Channel Canada.
In November 2015, Discovery Channel Canada announced its first original scripted drama, the Jason Momoa-fronted Frontier, chronicling the North American fur trade. The series was picked up internationally by Netflix.
List of Discovery Channel Canada original series
Exploration Production Inc., a producer and distributor of factual content, primarily episodic series and science magazines for television, was founded and launched in 1993. NetStar Communications Inc. owned the company under Discovery Channel Canada, and it was acquired by CTV during the CTV-NetStar acquisition. EPI has produced many shows found in Discovery Channel and other affiliated Canadian channels.
Discovery Channel HD
Discovery Channel HD is a high definition simulcast feed of Discovery Channel that broadcasts in the 1080i resolution format. The first incarnation of the HD feed was launched on August 15, 2003. The feed was shut down on December 19, 2005, and replaced by a separate category 2 digital cable specialty channel called Discovery HD Theatre (later Discovery World, now Discovery Velocity), featuring programming similar to that found on Discovery Channel.
On June 17, 2011, Bell Media announced that it would launch, for a second time, an HD simulcast feed of Discovery Channel; this feed was launched on August 18, 2011. It is available through all major TV providers.
- "Bell Media cancels shows 'Daily Planet' and 'Innerspace,' lays off 17 positions". The London Free Press. 2018-05-24. Retrieved 2018-05-25.
- "Netflix Picks Up Canadian Period Action Series 'Frontier' Starring Jason Momoa". Deadline. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Over-the-Air Transmitters Now Broadcasting CTV High-Definition Signals in Toronto and Vancouver CTV 2005-08-17
- Discovery Channel and Bell Media Factual Networks Announce Fall 2011 "Must See" Highlights CNW 2011-06-17