Velocity (TV network)
|Launched||June 17, 2002|
Motor Trend Group|
(Discovery Inc. and Source Interlink)
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Headquarters||Silver Spring, Maryland|
|Dish Network||Channel 246|
|C Band||AMC 11 - Channel 617 (4DTV Digital)|
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 631|
|AT&T Uverse||Channel 1104|
Velocity is an American pay television network. Owned by Motor Trend Group, a venture of Discovery Inc. and Source Interlink, Velocity primarily broadcasts automotive-themed programming and motorsports events, and is officially targeted towards an "upscale male" audience.
It was originally founded in 2002 as Discovery HD Theater (later HD Theater), the first 24/7 high definition basic cable network. It featured high-definition programming from its sister channels (including Discovery Channel), as well as other original programs designed to showcase the high-definition format. As its original purpose grew redundant after the introduction of high-definition simulcasts for Discovery's networks, it re-launched in 2011 as Velocity. The channel will re-brand as Motor Trend Network later in 2018, as a brand extension of the automotive magazine Motor Trend.
As of February 2015, approximately 62.3 million American households (53.5% of households with television) receive Velocity.
The network launched nationwide in the United States on June 17, 2002, as Discovery HD Theater; and was the first 24/7 basic cable HD network in the US. The channel was rebranded to HD Theater on September 22, 2007, when Discovery Communications launched HD simulcasts of several sister networks including Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, Science and TLC. Programming included shows from Discovery sister networks, such as American Chopper and Animal Planet's Corwin's Quest, in addition to original programming such as Sunrise Earth (which featured footage of outdoor scenes with no narration), and history-focused titles such as When Dinosaurs Roamed America and Before We Ruled the Earth.
By 2011, as high definition feeds of mainstream networks had become more common, HD Theater no longer filled a unique niche. On April 14, 2011, Discovery Communications announced that HD Theater would be re-launched as Velocity later in the year; and the re-launch took place on October 4, 2011. Aimed primarily at an "upscale male" audience, the network focuses primarily on automotive-oriented programming and other shows of interest to a primarily male audience.
As Motor Trend Network
On August 3, 2017, Discovery announced that it would contribute Velocity into a joint venture with the digital, live events, and direct-to-consumer businesses of automotive publisher TEN: The Enthusiast Network. Discovery will hold a majority stake in the venture.
In April 2018, it was announced that TEN had been renamed the Motor Trend Group, and that Velocity will be renamed Motor Trend Network later in 2018. Co-branded with the automotive magazine Motor Trend, the rebranding is part of an effort by Discovery, following its acquisition of Scripps Networks Interactive, to focus more on direct-to-consumer offerings targeting niche topics with "passionate" audiences. Motor Trend already operates the subscription video-on-demand service Motor Trend OnDemand, and had plotted out international expansion (including a British launch of Motor Trend OnDemand in the UK in December 2017, and a forthcoming over-the-air Motor Trend television channel in Italy).
A Canadian version of Velocity, known as Discovery Velocity, launched on February 12, 2015. The channel was, originally, the Canadian version of Discovery HD Theater, and had been branded as Discovery World immediately prior.
In some markets, Discovery operates similarly-themed channels known as Discovery Turbo (Asia-Pacific, Latin America, UK/Ireland), DTX (Europe, except UK/Ireland), and Motor Trend (Italy), which feature a similar focus on automotive-themed programs.
In 2015, Velocity and Discovery Channel acquired the broadcast rights to Barrett-Jackson's automobile auctions, previously held by Fox Sports. Mike Joy, Chris Jacobs, and Ray Evernham host the Barrett-Jackson Live broadcasts on the two channels.
In April 2018, it was announced that Discovery and Motor Trend Group had acquired the North American broadcast rights to the FIA World Endurance Championship, beginning with the 2018-19 season, also replacing Fox Sports. The first and last hours of most events will be televised by Velocity (with the entire events streaming on Motor Trend digital platforms), and there will be live flag-to-flag television coverage of the 1000 Miles of Sebring and 24 Hours of Le Mans. The broadcasts will be produced by sister Discovery division Eurosport.
- All Girls Garage
- American Icon: Muscle Car
- Barrett-Jackson Live
- Biggest And Baddest
- Cafe Racer
- Car Fix
- Chasing Classic Cars
- Dallas Car Sharks
- Inside West Coast Customs
- Junkyard Empire
- Kings of Crash
- Miracle Ball
- Motorhead Garage TV
- One of a Kind
- Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans
- RMD Garage
- Saw Dogs
- South Beach Classics
- Speed Is The New Black
- Turn n' Burn
- Unique Rides
- What's In The Barn?
- What's My Car Worth?
- Wheels That Fail
- Tech Toys 360
- All Star Dealers
- American Hot Rod
- Car Crazy
- Desert Car Kings
- Destroyed in Seconds
- Eurosport on Velocity
- Fat and Furious
- Fifth Gear
- Get Out Alive
- Graveyard Carz
- I Could Do That!
- Kidnap & Rescue
- Nature's Deadliest
- Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars
- Stacey David's GearZ
- Some Assembly Required
- The Detonators
- UFO's Over Earth
- Weird or What?
- Wheeler Dealers
- Wheeler Dealers: Trading Up
- World's Most Expensive Rides
- How It's Made: Dream Cars
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Sherrard, Kevin (April 16, 2002). "Discovery to Launch HD Theater". HDTV in Oklahoma.
- "Cablevision News Releases & Press Releases | Cablevision Cable TV". www.cablevision.com. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Mcknight, Jenna M. (2006-10-15). "The Sun Always Rises on HDTV". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Inc., Discovery Communications,. "Discovery Communications, Inc. Launches Discovery HD Theater (TM), A New 24-Hour High-Definition Television Channel". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- "CHANGING CHANNELS: HI to H2, HDTheater to Velocity". www.tvworthwatching.com. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Richmond, Ray (July 29, 2011). "TCA: Discovery Sets Launch Date For Velocity, Adds Big Names to 'Curiosity', Preps Science Channel's 'Trek Nation', Introduces 'Weed' Team". Deadline Hollywood.
- Gorman, Bill (April 14, 2011). "Discovery Communications Introduces Velocity — A Turbocharged Network For An Upscale Male Audience". TV by the Numbers.
- D.M. Levine (April 18, 2011). "Discovery Launches Velocity Channel, Aimed at Rich Men". Adweek.
- Lawler, Richard (Apr 14, 2011). "Discovery HD Theater is becoming Velocity, focuses on programming for 'upscale male audience'". Engadget.
- Evans, Greg (August 3, 2017). "Discovery Communications Partners With TEN Network For Auto Portfolio". Deadline. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (2018-04-10). "Discovery Rebrands Velocity As Motor Trend Network". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- Littleton, Cynthia (2018-04-10). "Discovery Rebrands Velocity as Motor Trend Network (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "Discovery Launches 'Motor Trend On Demand' in UK on Amazon Channels". Multichannel. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "High Stakes Adventure, Precision Machines, Raw Power: Specialty Service Discovery Velocity Launches February 12". Press release. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Discovery and Velocity Channels Name New 'Barrett-Jackson Live' On-Air Team (Exclusive Video)". TheWrap.com. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "World Endurance Championship inks new broadcast agreement with Velocity, Motor Trend". Autoweek. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Velocity, Motor Trend Named New North America TV Partner". Sportscar365. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- Bibel, Sara (June 27, 2013). "'Dallas Car Sharks' to Premiere Tuesday, July 23 on Velocity". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 4, 2013). "Velocity Launches Two Original Series Beginning in June". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (September 7, 2012). "Documentary 'Miracle Ball' to Premiere Saturday, September 29 on Velocity". TV by the Numbers.
- "Patrick Dempsey Chases the World's Best Drivers and Past Racing Legends in 'Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans' on Velocity". TV by the Numbers. June 20, 2013.
- ""Eurosport on Velocity" Brings the Best of Europe's Largest Sports Television Network to the United States for the First Time Ever". The Futon Critic (Press release). September 16, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (June 26, 2013). "'Wheeler Dealers: Trading Up' to Premiere July 10 on Velocity". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 25, 2013.