Discovery Ridge, Calgary
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Councillor||Richard Pootmans|
|Elevation||1,110 m (3,640 ft)|
|• Average Income||$128,844|
|Website||Discovery Ridge Community Association|
Discovery Ridge is a residential neighbourhood in the south-west quadrant of Calgary, Alberta. It is located at the western edge of the city and is bounded by Glenmore Trail to the north, 69 Street W to the east, Rocky View County and the city limits to the west and the Elbow River and Tsuu T'ina first nation reserve to the south.
Long before development, this area was referred to by longtime Calgarians as "Jackson's Valley", an isolated valley beside the Sarcee Military Reserve. When development first began in the late 1990s, the community was known as New Discovery and it was originally planned as a gated community, but this idea was later dropped and today, Discovery Ridge can be accessed by the public.
Discovery Ridge was a project dreamed up by developer Mac Radford in the early 1990s and later sold.
Residents in this community had a median household income of $128,844 in 2000, and there were no low income residents living in the neighbourhood. As of 2000, 32.3% of the residents were immigrants. Most buildings were single-family detached homes and estate homes and none of the housing was used for renting.
- "Calgary Elections". City of Calgary. October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2006). "Discovery Ridge Community Statistics" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-14.
- "2012 Civic Census Results" (PDF). City of Calgary. 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Community Boundaries" (Esri shapefile). City of Calgary. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2004). "Ward 6 Profile" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-05-14.
||Springbank||Springbank Hill||Signal Hill|
|Rocky View County||Signal Hill|
|Tsuu T'ina||Elbow River||Glenmore Reservoir|