Discovery World (European TV channel)
Discovery World is a European pay television channel which features programming in the fields of travel, culture and history. Discovery World offers a mix of history, culture, real-life stories, investigation, mystery shows, factual series and documentaries. Its programming is mainly in English and locally subtitled. In some countries the advertisements and announcements between programs are localized.
In Europe the channel started as Discovery Civilisation, also called Discovery Civilisation Channel, in the UK the 1 October 1998, alongside the Sky Digital's launch and later followed by other European countries. Discovery Civilisation focused on history-related programs. On 18 April 2008 the channel changed its name into Discovery World and extended its program lineup to also include programs about culture, crime and "mysterious phenomena".
In 2013, the channel got replaced by Discovery Turbo Xtra in Central and Eastern Europe. On 31 March 2016, the channel changed its name to Discovery Family in Africa and the Middle East. The network has also closed down in Italy and is now only available in the Netherlands, Belgium and the Nordic countries.
- Prototype This!
- Amazing Medical Stories
- Discovery Atlas
- Dr. G: Medical Examiner
- Everest: Beyond the Limit
- Final 24
- More Industrial Revelations Europe
- Most Evil
- Polish Mountaineers in the Himalayas
- Polish Socialist Films - From the Archives of WFO
- Crime Investigations
- Psychic Witness
- Zero Hour
- "Which TV channels were on sky digital at launch ?". Digital Spy Forums. January 2, 2011.
- "DNI Fast Facts: EMEA" (PDF). Discovery Communications. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- "Kanalbyte hos Discovery". Resumé. April 18, 2008. Archived from the original on December 25, 2008.
- Jan-Hein Visser (April 17, 2008). "Discovery Civilisation wordt Discovery World". Totaal TV.
- "DStv replaces Discovery World with Discovery Family". Telecompaper. March 28, 2016.