Patani in 2018
|Born|| (28 or 25)13 June 1992 or 27 July 1995|
Disha Patani (pronounced [ˈd̪ɪʃa paːʈəˈni]) is an Indian actress who works primarily in Hindi films. She began her acting career with the Telugu film Loafer (2015) opposite Varun Tej, and later made her Hindi debut in the sports biopic M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story (2016). She starred in the Chinese action comedy Kung Fu Yoga (2017), which ranks among the highest-grossing Chinese films of all time. She went on to play the romantic interest of the lead male character in the commercially successful Hindi action films Baaghi 2 (2018) and Bharat (2019).
Patani is a Kumaoni from Uttarakhand and Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, is her hometown. She has studied engineering. She comes from the Rajput community. Her father, Jagadish Singh Patani is a police officer and her mother is a health inspector. Her elder sister, Khushboo Patani is a lieutenant in Indian Armed Forces. She also has a younger brother, Suryansh Patani.
Patani debuted with a Telugu film, Loafer alongside Varun Tej in 2015. She played the role of Mouni, a girl who runs from home to escape a forced marriage. Directed by Puri Jagannadh and produced by C. Kalyan under C.K. Entertainment, the film was made on a budget of ₹200 million and performed poorly at the box office with a lifetime collection of ₹106 million. In the following year, Disha appeared in a music video, Befikra along with Tiger Shroff which was produced by Bhushan Kumar and Krishan Kumar under T-Series and composed by Meet Bros. Written and directed by Meet Bros, the singer, Aditi Singh Sharma lent her voice.
Patani found her commercial break with Neeraj Pandey's M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story, a biographical sports film based on the life story of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, the former captain of the Indian Cricket Team along with Sushant Singh Rajput and Kiara Advani. She played the role of Priyanka Jha, the girlfriend of Mahendra Singh Dhoni's character who dies in a car accident. Directed by Neeraj Pandey and produced by Fox Star Studios, the film was released on 30 September 2016 and was a massive hit with the collections of ₹216 crores. In her review, Renuka Vyavahare of Times of India reviewed, "the performance of Disha in the film deserves a special mention as her performance tugs at your heartstrings." In addition, she also starred in Jackie Chan's Kung Fu Yoga, along with Sonu Sood.
Patani then acted in Baaghi 2 along with Tiger Shroff, a sequel to 2016 hit Baaghi starring Tiger Shroff and Shraddha Kapoor. Produced by Sajid Nadiadwala and directed by Ahmed Khan, the film was released on 30 March 2018 worldwide and grossed approximately ₹243 crore.
In June 2019, she appeared in the film Bharat starring Salman Khan as one of his leading ladies. She started 2020 with February release Malang opposite Aditya Roy Kapur. In March 2020, she appeared in a song in the film Baaghi 3 starring Tiger Shroff and Shraddha Kapoor, a sequel to Baaghi 2.
In 2020, Patani was among several Bollywood actors who were criticised for posting Instagram messages showing solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, despite their previous work advertising skin-lightening products which perpetuate colorism.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
- All films are in Hindi unless otherwise noted.
|2016||M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story||Priyanka Jha|
|2017||Kung Fu Yoga||Asmita||Chinese film|
|2018||Welcome to New York||Herself||Cameo appearance|
|Baaghi 3||Herself||Special appearance in song "Do You Love Me"|
|2016||"Befikra"||Meet Bros, Aditi Singh Sharma||Meet Bros|
|2019||"Har Ghoont Mein Swag"||Badshah||Badshah|
Awards and nominations
|2017||M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female||Won|||
|Most Entertaining Actor in a Drama Film – Female||Nominated|||
|Star Screen Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|||
|Stardust Awards||Best Acting Debut (Female)||Won|||
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|||
|Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|||
- "Is Disha Patani lying about her age?". The Times of India. TNN. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- The Hitlist Team (19 July 2016). "Is Tiger Shroff's rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani 'faking' her age?". Mid Day. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "'Baaghi 3': Disha Patani stuns with her bold moves in the 'Do You Love Me?' song". Deccan Herald. 26 February 2020. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- Patil, Rohan (15 July 2020). "Disha Patani Posts An Adorable Picture To Wish Her Brother On His Birthday". Republic World. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "Disha Patani feels that she is still the pahadi girl that she used to be". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- "Disha Patani receives a heartfelt letter from her youngest fan from Bareilly". Mid-Day. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- "Disha Patani opens up about her journey from a Bareilly girl to a successful actress". Mid-Day. 26 June 2018. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- "Disha Patani: The only time I'm not shy is when I'm facing the camera - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- Tiwari, Saumya (13 June 2019). "Exclusive: पुलिस अफसर पापा की जुबानी, बेटी दिशा पाटनी के स्टार बनने की कहानी". Jansatta (in Hindi). Retrieved 25 March 2020.
- "Disha Patani Introduces Her Army Officer Sister Khushboo in Instagram Post". News18. 19 April 2019. Retrieved 25 March 2020.
- "Varun Tej - Puri Jagannadh film titled 'Loafer'". IndiaGlitz. 21 June 2015. Archived from the original on 28 February 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Loafer Review". 17 December 2015. Archived from the original on 28 February 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Loafer reaches Half-Way Mark". Tupaki.com. 27 December 2015. Archived from the original on 24 May 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's single 'Befikra' launched in Mumbai".
- Sonil Dedhia (16 January 2017). "Disha Patani to play MS Dhoni's ex-girlfriend". Times of India. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections and Day wise breakup of M.S. Dhoni – The Untold Story". Bollywood Hungama. 1 October 2016. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review". Times of India. 25 October 2016. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- 功夫瑜伽 Douban | Kungfu Yoga
- "'Baaghi 2' worldwide box-office collection: Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's film on an impressive run - Times of India ►". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- Suresh, Sanjeeva (8 June 2020). "BOLLYWOOD STARS CALLED OUT FOR DOUBLE STANDARDS OVER BLACK LIVES MATTER". Harper's Bazaar. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- Mukherjee, Jashodhara (6 June 2020). "Peak Hypocrisy: Bollywood Actors Protesting Racism and Endorsing Fairness Creams". News18. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- "Salman Khan, family members test negative for COVID-19". The Hindu. 20 November 2020. Retrieved 24 November 2020.
- "'KTina' goes on floors: Disha Patani poses like Ekta Kapoor in first look, what's cooking?". DNA. 25 October 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Baaghi 3 star Tiger Shroff shares sizzling photo of Disha Patani from upcoming song 'Do You'". Bollywood Hungama. 26 February 2020. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- "Disha Patani starts shooting for KTina. Is she playing Ekta Kapoor? See first look". India Today. 25 October 2019.
- "Confirmed: Disha Patani joins Salman Khan for 'Radhe' and here's a glimpse from the film's muhurat". The Times of India. 1 November 2019. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- "Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani to share screen space again, check viral pictures". India Tv. 7 April 2019. Archived from the original on 7 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Urmimala Banerjee (19 August 2017). "Big Zee Entertainment Awards 2017 winners list: Alia Bhatt, Shahid Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Sushant Singh Rajput are the big winners of the night". Archived from the original on 19 May 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Big ZEE Entertainment Awards: Nominations list". BizAsia | Media, Entertainment, Showbiz, Events and Music. 22 July 2017. Archived from the original on 26 June 2019. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Disha Patani Announced Most Promising Newcomer Female At The Screen Awards!". Businessofcinema.com. 6 December 2016. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Aarti Iyengar (20 December 2016). "Stardust Awards 2016 FULL winners list: Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan win BIG". Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "IIFA Awards 2017 | Shahid Kapoor to Disha Patani: Here's the complete list of winners!". DNA. 16 July 2017. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Sukriti Gumber (30 May 2017). "Here Is The Full List Of Nominations For IIFA 2017". MissMalini. Archived from the original on 20 August 2017. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Disha Patani.|