Dishwasher companies and Consumer Reports have recommended against cooking fish with a dishwasher because dishwashers are not designed or tested for cooking, dishwashers do not have temperatures as consistent as stoves, and it's uncertain whether dishwashers will heat fish sufficiently to kill pathogens. Foodborne illness may be the result.
Pieces of salmon are spiced and wrapped tightly in at least two layers of aluminum foil and put in a dishwasher. The dishwasher is set to perform a full regular cycle, possibly with the addition of a heated dry cycle. The salmon is broiled, steamed, and baked. An advantage of the method is that cooking is odorless. There is nothing preventing one from washing the dishes at the same time, provided that the package is tight enough.
Preparation of the dish has been presented in the Canadian cooking program The Surreal Gourmet hosted by Bob Blumer in 2002. Reports about the dish have been published by The Wall Street Journal, NBC, BBC, Vogue CHOICE and CBS News which interviewed Kym Douglas about the book The Black Book of Hollywood Diet Secrets where the dish is presented.
- Janeway, Kimberly. "Things You Should Never Put in a Dishwasher". Consumer Reports. Retrieved 2023-04-16.
- Daspin, Eileen (3 Dec 1999). "A Jaded Cooks Turn To Other Appliances". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 2008-09-21. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- Woodford, Riley (2010-08-19). "Dishwasher Salmon". Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Archived from the original on 2010-08-19. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- Christine Gallary (April 16, 2015). "Can You Really Cook Salmon in a Dishwasher?". thekitchn.com. Archived from the original on April 18, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
2:36 p.m. Dishwasher cycle is complete. Still no fishy smells.
- Holloway, Diane E. (2002-08-28). Authors' Famous Recipes and Reflections on Food. iUniverse. p. 114. ISBN 978-0-595-24379-2. Archived from the original on 2022-08-04. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- on YouTube
- Blumer, Bob (2014-01-17). "Dishwasher Salmon with a Piquant Dill Sauce Recipe". Food Network. Archived from the original on 2014-01-17. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- "DINNER IN THE DISHWASHER AT ANYSLEY'S LOFT". The Surreal Gourmet. 2008-01-06. Archived from the original on 2008-01-06. Retrieved 3 August 2010.
- "Healthy meals from your dishwasher?". MSNBC. 9 Dec 2003. Archived from the original on 2006-08-28. Retrieved 3 November 2008.
- Coombes, Lewis (2008-03-27). "Salmon in a Dishwasher". BBC. Archived from the original on 2012-04-15. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- Ritchie, Ruth (2007-05-16). "Ruth Ritchie's dishwasher salmon with sorrel sauce". Vogue Australia. Archived from the original on 2007-05-16. Retrieved 3 August 2010.
- "Can you cook dinner in your dishwasher?". CHOICE. 2020-06-26. Archived from the original on 2019-02-27. Retrieved 2021-07-22.
- "Hollywood's Diet And Fitness Secrets". The Early Show. CBS News. March 13, 2008. Archived from the original on 15 Mar 2008.