Disk Drill Basic
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Operating system||Mac OS X and Windows|
Disk Drill Basic is a freeware version of Disk Drill, data recovery application for Mac OS X, developed by CleverFiles. Disk Drill Basic was introduced in 2010 and was primarily designed to recover deleted or lost files from hard disk drives, USB flash drives and SSD drives with the help of Recovery Vault technology.
The core of Disk Drill Basic is a Recovery Vault technology which allows to recover data from a media that was secured by Recovery Vault beforehand. Recovery Vault runs as a background service and remembers all metadata and properties of the deleted data. Thus making it possible to restore deleted files with their original file names and location.
Supported file systems
Disk Drill Basic provides recovery from HFS/HFS+ and FAT disks/partitions (only the paid Pro version can actually recover files, the Free version will only allow Previewing files).
Version for Windows OS
In February 2015, CleverFiles have launched a Windows version of its data recovery software for Mac OS. While in beta, Disk Drill for Windows is licensed as a freeware and allows to recover the deleted files from storage devices that can be accessed from Windows PC. Disk Drill for Windows also includes the Recovery Vault technology  and works on any Windows XP system or newer (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10). The software is compatible with FAT and NTFS, as well as HFS+ and EXT2/3/4 file systems.
|Version||Platform||Release date||Notes and significant changes|
|1.0.47 Beta||Macintosh||September 2010||
|1.0.52 Beta||Macintosh||September 2010||
|2.0 ||Macintosh||May 2013||
|2.4.437 ||Macintosh||December 2015||
|1.0.188 ||Windows||June 2015||
- Derek Schauland (2011-02-08). "Cleverfiles Disk Drill file recovery for the Mac".
- Cody Fink (2010-12-15). "Disk Drill Is An Amazingly Simple Recovery App For HDDs".
- "Disk Drill 1.0.52 Beta – first public release". 2010-09-29.
- "Why is Recovery Vault important?". 2010-09-12.
- Steven Sande (2011-05-08). "Disk Drill protects your Mac disks, recovers files".
- Simon Slangen (2010-09-10). "Disk Drill: Easily Protect and Recover Your Hard Drive Data".
- "Protect Your Mac Data And Recover Lost Data With Disk Drill". 2012-04-23.
- Martin Brinkmann (2015-03-03). "Mac Data Recovery Software Disk Drill ported to Windows".
- Erica Sadun (2013-05-23). "Disk Drill file recovery app moves to 2.0 release".
- Iulia Ivan (2015-12-14). "Disk Drill for Mac 2.4.437".
- Marina Dan (2015-03-03). "Disk Drill 126.96.36.199".
- Mike Williams (2015-06-15). "Disk Drill 1.0.188".