Disney's American Legends
|Disney's American Legends|
Home video release cover
|Directed by||Lara Shapiro|
|Produced by||Richard Kaylor|
|Written by||Shirley Pierce|
|Narrated by||James Earl Jones|
|Edited by||Leland Gray
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Home Entertainment|
Disney's American Legends is a 2002 direct-to-video animated anthology film hosted by James Earl Jones. It is a compilation of previous released animated musical shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios based on American tall tales. The film features The Brave Engineer (1950), Paul Bunyan (1958), and The Legend of Johnny Appleseed which is a segment from the 1948 film Melody Time.
The film's new short is based on John Henry and stars Alfre Woodard and Tim Hodge. John Henry was later released on Blu-ray in Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection on August 18, 2015.
John Henry (1999)
Retells the story of John Henry, who raced against a steam drill.
- production company: Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida
- Director: Mark Henn
- Producer: Steven Keller
- Writer: Broose Johnson, Tim Hodge, Shirley Pierce
- Music: Score by Stephen James Taylor, original songs by Gary Hines and Billy Steele and performed by Sounds of Blackness
- Art Director: Robert Stanton
The Legend of Johnny Appleseed (1948)
- Director: Wilfred Jackson
- Producer: Walt Disney
- Writer: Winston Hibler, Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Jesse Marsh
- Music: Paul J. Smith
- Art Director: Mary Blair
Paul Bunyan (1958)
- Director: Les Clark
- Producer: Walt Disney
- Writer: Lance Nolley, Ted Berman
- Music: George Bruns
- lyrics: Tom Adair
- Art Director: Eyvind Earle
The Brave Engineer (1950)
Based on the exploits of railroad engineer Casey Jones.
Mike Pinsky, of DVD Verdict, reviewed the compilation saying, "If, as James Earl Jones says in the finale, the message of this film is to "look for the heroes around you and celebrate them," Disney's American Legends is an interesting, if half-hearted, attempt to carry out that advice." Kirby C. Holt, Toon Talk, reviewed the compilation saying, "Although the program definitely presents the shorts in descending order of quality, it ends on a high note with these inspirational words from James Earl Jones: "Look for the heroes around you and celebrate them ... you can find them in the past, in the present, even in the mirror."
- Doty, Meriah (June 4, 2015). "'Frozen Fever' (and Easter Eggs!) Coming Soon on Disney Shorts Blu-ray (Exclusive)". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Drees, Rich. "Disney Closes Florida Animation Studio". filmbuffonline.com. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- DVD Verdict
- Toon Talk
|This Disney-related animated film article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a children's film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|