Disney Channel (Australia and New Zealand)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Launched||8 June 1996|
|Owned by||The Walt Disney Company|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)|
|Audience share||1.3% (February 2008, )|
|Slogan||The Best Place to Be|
Papua New Guinea
|Formerly called||The Disney Channel (1996-1997)|
|Sister channel(s)||Disney Junior
|SKY Network Television (NZ)||Channel 100|
|Optus TV||Channel 707|
|TransTV Digital||Channel 201|
|Neighbourhood Cable||Channel 28|
|Vodafone (NZ)||Channel 100|
|Xbox 360||Channel 707|
Disney Channel is a television channel that is broadcast in Australia and New Zealand. It is mainly aimed at children and their families. The programming is broken up by a number of breaks, during which trailers for Disney's programs are usually shown. It does occasionally broadcast commercial advertisements. On 1 September 2009, Disney Channel started broadcasting in 16:9 widescreen.
The Disney Channel has been broadcast by Optus since 8 June 1996. It became available though Austar on 1 April 2001, through Foxtel on 1 December 2001, through TransTV on 21 January 2002, and is also available on Neighbourhood Cable. It was formerly available on SelecTV from September 2008 until the closure of its English service in late 2010.
It has been broadcast on New Zealand's pay television network, SKY Network Television, since December 2003. On 5 December 2005, Disney Channel launched the Playhouse Disney channel in Australia on the Foxtel, Austar, and Optus television digital services and in New Zealand on the SKY Network Television digital service. On 1 September 2009, the channel started 16:9 widescreen broadcasting. On 6 February 2012, a new logo was adopted.
|Title||Premiere date||Current season||Note(s)|
|Liv and Maddie||11 October 2013||3||[a]|
|Girl Meets World||25 August 2014||2||[a]|
|K.C. Undercover||5 March 2015||1||[a]|
|Best Friends Whenever||16 October 2015||1||[a]|
|Bunk'd||14 January 2016||1||[a]|
|Mickey Mouse||1 July 2013|
|Descendants: Wicked World||16 October 2015|
Repeats of ended series
|Boy Meets World*||5 May 2000|
|That's So Raven||10 November 2007|
|Cory in the House||13 September 2008|
|Hannah Montana||16 January 2011|
|The Suite Life on Deck||13 August 2011|
|Wizards of Waverly Place||11 February 2012|
|Shake It Up||13 February 2014|
|Good Luck Charlie||31 March 2014|
|A.N.T. Farm||6 May 2014|
|Fish Hooks||19 June 2014|
- Boy Meets World was not a Disney Original series. The show is played on 'Disney Channel Replay' mainly to advertise the show's Disney sequel, Girl Meets World.
Acquired live-action series
|The Next Step||31 January 2014|
|Extreme Babysitting||31 July 2014|
|Mako Mermaids||12 May 2015|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2016)|
Disney Junior is a 24-hour Australian cable and satellite channel available on local platforms. It launched on 5 December 2005 as Playhouse Disney and on 29 May 2011 as Disney Junior. All of the programs target younger kids.
- Currently premiering new episodes.
- Elder, Bruce (2 June 1996). "Disney to the rescue". Sydney Morning Herald (Sydney: Fairfax Media). p. 1. Retrieved 21 December 2009.
The Disney Channel, which kicks off with the TV premiere of Aladdin at 6.30 pm on Saturday, June 8
- "News on the Hour". Illawarra Mercury (Illawarra, Australia). 17 March 2000. p. 55. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "Hitting Disney heights". TV Plus. The Sunday Mail. 16 December 2001. p. T35.
- "Package Updates". Foxtel. 2001. Archived from the original on 14 December 2001. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
You'll be able to enjoy a world of fun and adventure, with Disney Channel coming to FOXTEL for the first time! Disney Channel becomes part of our Entertainment Plus package, moving TCM from Entertainment Plus into the Movies package.
- "Transact to screen 24-hour Disney films, animation, on its 12th channel.". The Canberra Times (Canberra, Australia). 20 January 2002. p. 10.
- Shoebridge, Neil (15 September 2008). "WIN's on to a winner as SelecTV ups service". The Australian Financial Review. p. 16. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Chessell, James (20 August 2010). "Bruce Gordon's SelecTV to make changes". City Beat. The Australian. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- Alarcon, Camille (29 May 2011). "Disney makes new friends". B & T Weekly 54 (2546): 23. ISSN 1325-9210. Retrieved 15 May 2100. Check date values in:
- Tim Addington. "Disney to launch Junior channel". B&T. Retrieved 30 March 2011.