Disney Channel (India)
|Launched||17 December 2004|
|Owned by||The Walt Disney Company India|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Sister channel(s)||Disney XD India
|Website||Disney Channel (India)|
|Tata Sky||Channel 609|
|Dish TV||Channel 523|
|Reliance Digital TV||Channel 603|
|Airtel digital TV||Channel 360|
|Sun Direct||Channel 522|
|Videocon d2h||Channel 505|
|In Digital||Channel 315|
Disney Channel is an Indian television channel, and a division of Disney India, specializing in television programming for children through movies and third party programming. In 2004, Disney Channel India began airing in India. Originally positioned towards kids, Disney Channel has recently launched a slew of new TV Shows, airing on weekends that are aimed at the whole family. The channel is currently very popular among kids and teens in India and has consistently ranked as the number one kids channel in the country. Disney Channel is available on cable and satellite television. The channel is based in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.Disney Channel India is the first Kids and Teen Channel to cross 200+ GRPs in 5 years.Programming is available in four languages (English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu). The channel can be viewed on digital cable and satellite television in India.
History and availability
Before becoming a channel in India, Disney was a block on Sony TV, known as "Disney Hour" and "Disney Mornings"; later, Disney Channel was also on Star Plus and Zee TV. Currently the channel is available across all major DTH and cable platforms in India, especially Tata Sky (channel 609), Dish TV (channel 523), BigTV (channel 603), and Airtel Digital TV (channel 360). On digital cable services, it is available on DEN Networks (channel 434) and Hathway Cable (channel 405) and Sea TV on (channel 263)
Playhouse Disney started airing in 2006,as a block on Disney Channel. On 4 July 2011, it was replaced by Disney Junior. Disney Junior later in 2013 became a 24-hour channel dedicated to kids. Its available on various DTH and cable operators.
At first the channel aired US programming such as Lizzie McGuire, That's So Raven, The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, Sonny with a Chance, The Suite Life on Deck, Jonas LA and Phineas and Ferb.
In 2006, Disney Channel launched its first original live-action show Vicky Aur Vetaal,which became a hit. It started to produce more original content such as Agadam Bagdam Tigdam, Dhoom Machaao Dhoom, Break Time Masti Time, Kya Mast Hai Life, and Ishaan. In 2010 an Indian version of Art Attack was made. Eventually, American shows such as Hannah Montana and The Suite Life on Deck were cancelled.Doraemon got transferred from Hungama TV to the channel.
In 2011, Disney Channel launched Best of Luck Nikki which is a local version of Good Luck Charlie. Due to its success, The Suite Life of Karan & Kabir (adaptation of The Suite Life of Zack & Cody), Disney Q Family Mastermind (adaptation of Mastermind India), Shake It Up (India) (adaptation of Shake It Up),and Oye Jassie (adaptation of Jessie) were created. Currently the only American shows airing are Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls,and Mickey Mouse.
In 2014, Disney Channel embarked upon a new TV Talk Show called Captain Tiao where a child interviews Bollywood celebrities and Indian sports stars. The show became an instant hit and amassed a loyal following soon after it's launch.
In January 2015, Disney Channel relaunched in a brand new avatar with a series of live action shows, focusing on humour, the small joys of life, and the happiness of family.
1) Maan Na Maan Mein Tera Mehmaan: Meet the Rajas, an urban happy go-lucky family who discover an ancient photo frame on an adventure trip. They soon understand that the photo frame brings to life any person whose picture is placed in it! The guests- sometimes uninvited – can leave only after completing the task they have to come to accomplish. With this show, families get to witness a never ending roller coaster ride that the Raja family goes through with a new guest in every episode
2) Kabhi Aise Geet Gaya Karo: This show celebrates the unity, values and ethics of a tightly-knit Chaudhary Family. Each of them have a distinct personality and their love and respect for each other unites them. It is this unity that enables the family to face all challenges life throws at them with a smile. A family that keeps no secrets and upholds traditions with loyalty including simple ones like a family picnic every month. The show will warm your heart and make you smile by showcasing the joys of everyday life
3) Goldie Ahuja Matric Pass: A resourceful, ingenious, 40 year old small trader discovers that his uncle has left him an inheritance with a condition – a condition is that he needs to complete his schooling to be eligible for the inheritance. Goldie, a high school dropout, is forced to go back to school and as luck would have it, he finds himself in the same school that his wife teaches in and the same class as his very own son
4) Lage Raho Chachu: A writer for daily soaps - Chachu Vivek Kashyap’s hectic life is thrown into a whirlwind when he has to adopt his two nieces and a nephew and has to win over an eccentric, possessive protective Father of the girl he wants to marry. His soon finds his life turning into a daily soap, with him having to deal with everything with a smile on his face!
5) Zindagi Khattee Meethi: They say one doesn’t choose his/ her own family but the truth is that one doesn’t get to choose his neighbor either! Meet an upright IAS officer who comes across the outrageous and loud Sinha family! Being neighbours, their paths cross everyday which leads to a hilarious fest if one-upmanship
- Disney Channel (India) Official Website
- Disney Channel (India) Official Facebook Page
- Disney Channel (India) Official Twitter Page
- Disney Channel (India) Official Youtube Channel