Disney Magic at Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
|Owner:||Disney Cruise Line|
|Operator:||Disney Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Route:||4 Night Caribbean Cruises,5,6,7 and 8 Night Western Caribbean Cruises,2,3,4 and 8 Night Bahamian Cruises,4,5,7,9 and 12 night Mediterranean Cruises, Special Cruises|
|Builder:||Fincantieri Marghera, Italy|
|Maiden voyage:||July 30, 1998|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9126807|
|Class & type:||Magic-class (Disney) cruise ship|
|Length:||984 ft (300 m)|
|Beam:||106 ft (32 m)|
|Draft:||25.3 ft (7.7 m)|
|Installed power:||43,000 kW (57,600 hp)|
|Propulsion:||Diesel-Electric; *5 × Sulzer 16ZAV40S; two shafts|
Disney Magic is a cruise ship owned and operated by the Disney Cruise Line, a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. She has 11 public decks, can accommodate 2,700 passengers in 875 staterooms, and has a crew of approximately 950. The interior of Disney Magic is decorated in the Art Deco style, in contrast to her sister ship, Disney Wonder which is decorated in the Art Nouveau style.
As with other Disney cruise ships, the ship's horn blast plays an excerpt from Disney's famous flagship tune, '"When You Wish upon a Star". The Disney Magic's Godmother is Patricia Disney, former wife of Walt Disney's nephew, Roy E. Disney.
Originally, from the summer of 2000, Disney Magic had been offering weekly cruises to Castaway Cay and multiple Caribbean islands out of its home port in Port Canaveral, Florida. In June 2005, Disney Magic was dispatched to the West Coast in honor of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebrations.
In May 2007, Disney Magic started her inaugural Mediterranean cruises out of Barcelona, Spain. At the end of the summer, she returned to her home port of Port Canaveral.
Disney Magic returned to Barcelona in 2010 for another summer of Mediterranean cruises, as well as several northern European cruises before again returning to Port Canaveral.
In May 2012, Disney Magic was relocated to New York City, where she sailed 8-night cruises to the Bahamas, New England, and Canada. In September she was relocated to Galveston, Texas for the remainder of the year and offered 4 Night Caribbean Cruises, 6, 7, and 8 Night Western Caribbean Cruises, and 8 Night Bahamian Cruises.
In October 2013, Disney Cruise Line completed renovations to Disney Magic  including updates to the ship's cabins, lounges, restaurants and spa and introduced new features including; "Marvel's Avengers Academy", a play area based on Marvel's Avengers characters, the AquaDunk and the AquaLab, consisting of a pool and waterslide.
Like all Disney Cruise Line ships, entertainment on Disney Magic includes award-winning live Broadway-style shows with many Disney characters, two movie theaters, the Walt Disney Theater and the Buena Vista theater, which feature both Disney classics and occasional first-run movies, several night clubs and lounges, several pools, and many Disney-themed parties and celebrations, including a Sail-Away Celebration and Pirates Night.
On the ship's forward funnel, there is a 24-by-14 foot LED screen known as the Funnel Vision, due to its location on the rear of one of the ship's funnels, where guests can watch various movies and shows either from the deck, or from inside Goofy's Pool.
Shows from the Walt Disney Theatre may include: All Aboard, Let The Magic Begin, Twice Charmed, Villains Tonight, Disney Dreams, and A Final Farewell Show.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
On deck 10 forward, the Wide World of Sports deck offers basketball, soccer, football, and ping-pong. On deck 9 forward, the Senses Spa includes a workout room with views of the front of the ship.
Adults can visit the Cove Cafe, and the Cove Pool, on deck 9 forward, while families can enjoy the Goofy Pool, deck 9 midship. Children can swim at Aqua Lab located on deck 9 aft.
Disney characters are frequently seen at various parties, dining room events, and scheduled character greetings on board.
Scattered throughout the ship are subtle Mickey Mouse impressions, known as "Hidden Mickeys" that guests may attempt to locate.
Several kids' clubs are available on board. It's a Small World Nursery is a play area for infants, while the Oceaneer Club, and the Oceaneer Lab, offer children from three to ten a variety of guided and individual activities from computer games, dress-up, themed activities, experiments. The Edge offers 11- to 14-year-olds an interactive play space designed like the ship's bridge. The teens-only Vibe club offers teens television, videogames, music, Internet access and a variety of social activities.
There are two seating times offered on board Disney Magic - early and late. Early caters more toward young families, while the later tends to be for older children and primarily adult families. Disney uses "Rotational Dining" to describe how to ensure guests experience each of the themed restaurants on board: Lumiere's, Carioca's and Animator's Palate. Guests share the same table guests and wait staff each night. Lumiere's is themed as an elegant Art Deco dining room serving French cuisine, Carioca's is themed as a Brazilian restaurant, and Animator's Palate features a dining room that changes from black-and-white to color over the course of the meal and serves contemporary cuisine. Cast members/wait staff perform shows at least once per cruise at "Animator's Palate".
Disney Magic also features a premium restaurant, Palo, which serves Northern Italian fare for dinner and an elaborate buffet for brunch. Palo is limited to guests 18 years of age or older, and requires a reservation and an additional per-person dining charge.
Disney Magic has several complimentary "open" dining/food options. The largest is the Cabanas which operates as a buffet during breakfast and lunch and as a casual sit-down restaurant during dinner. There are also three outdoor quick-service restaurants located near the pools: Daisy's De Lites, which serves breakfast and lunch, Pinocchio's Pizzeria, which serves pizza during lunch and late-night hours, and Pete's Boilers Bites, which serves hamburgers, chicken tenders, French fries, and hot dogs for lunch and dinner. Lumiere's and Carioca's serve American food during lunch, with the latter alternating between a lunch buffet and a sit-down lunch. 24-Hour complimentary room service is also available.
The ship has twenty bright yellow lifeboats which, along with the black, red, and white colors of the ship itself, match the colors of Mickey Mouse.
- Asklander, Micke. "M/S Disney Magic (1998)". Fakta om Fartyg (in Swedish). Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Ship Facts". Disney Cruise Line. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Disney Magic - Disney". Cruisecritic.com. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- "Disney Magic® Cruise Ship | Disney Cruise Line". Disneycruise.disney.go.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- Aronson, Tara (2002-09-25). "Disney Magic grows up". csmonitor.com. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- "Disney Cruises To Be Longer". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. 1999-12-26. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- McDowell, Edwin (2000-10-15). "Sea Changes The Latest Trends: More Ships Bring Bigger Discounts". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- Nefer, Barb. "Disney Cruise Line History | USA Today". Traveltips.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Disney to Galveston and Canada/New England in 2012 - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News". Cruise Industry News. 2011-04-05. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- Sloan, Gene (2012-09-24). "Disney kicks off first cruises from Texas". USA Today Travel (USA Today). Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- Lomer-Camarena, Kyara (September 28, 2014). "South Florida Parenting". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- Sloan, Gene (26 April 2013). "Disney Magic to get a major makeover". USA Today. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "4 Disney Cruise Lines: Disney Cruise Lines Awards and Accolades". 4-disney-cruise-lines.blogspot.com. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Live Shows | Entertainment | Disney Cruise Line". Disneycruise.disney.go.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Theaters | Entertainment | Disney Cruise Line". Disneycruise.disney.go.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Deck Parties | Disney Cruise Line". Disneycruise.disney.go.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Youth Clubs & Kids Cruise Activities | Disney Magic | Disney Cruise Line". Disneycruise.disney.go.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Help & Support". Disneycruise.disney.go.com. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Lumiere's". Disney Cruise Line.
- "Parrot Cay". Disney Cruise Line.
- "Animator's Palate". Disney Cruise Line.
- "Palo". Disney Cruise Line.
- "Dining on the Disney Magic". Disney Cruise Line.
- "Room Service". Disney Cruise Line.
- Iovine, Julie V. (1997-01-16). "Now It's Heigh-Ho, Off to Sea We Go - New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- Saunders, Aaron (2013). Giants of the Seas: The Ships that Transformed Modern Cruising. Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK: Seaforth Publishing. ISBN 9781848321724.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Disney Magic.|
- Disney Cruise Line
- Disney Magic
- "Disney Magic" – review by Douglas Ward in The Daily Telegraph, London
- "Splash and dash: Round the bend and down the tubes on a wet and wild Disney Cruise" – review in the Daily Mail of a cruise on the Disney Magic