Disney on Ice
|Product type||Ice shows|
|Owner||Disney Live Family Entertainment|
Disney Theatrical Group
(The Walt Disney Company)
|Produced by||Ice Follies And Holiday on Ice, Inc.|
|Introduced||July 29, 1981|
|Related brands||Disney Live!|
Disney on Ice, originally Walt Disney's World on Ice, is a series of touring ice shows produced by Feld Entertainment's Ice Follies And Holiday on Ice, Inc. under agreement with The Walt Disney Company. Aimed primarily at children, the shows feature figure skaters portraying the roles of Disney characters in performances derived from various Disney films. Feld Entertainment licensed the rights to Disney material for ice shows and includes shared merchandising revenue between Disney and Ice Follies.
Soon after Mattel's Irvin & Kenneth Feld Productions purchased Ice Follies and Holiday on Ice in 1979, the company approached Disney about doing a Disney-related show on ice. Feld Productions licensed the rights to Disney material for ice shows. In 1981, they began productions under the name Walt Disney's World on Ice.
In March 1982, Irvin & Kenneth Feld purchased back Feld Productions from Mattel including Ice Follies/Walt Disney's World on Ice. In 1987, Walt Disney's World on Ice made its international debut in Japan with Happy Birthday Donald. In 1988, the company had five touring shows. The name was changed to "Disney on Ice" in 1998. By 2008, a new show is launched every year.
The show is usually hosted by Mickey Mouse assisted at times by Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and Buzz Lightyear. More recently, the series features segments about the Disney Princesses. A new production is launched almost every year.
- Dale, Steve (January 20, 1995). "Snow White And Greenbacks". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- "Feld Family Buys Ringling Bros". Associated Press in The New York Times. March 19, 1982. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
Two members of the family, Irvin Feld and his son, Kenneth, said that the deal included the circus, Ice Follies, Holiday on Ice and the new Walt Disney's World on Ice.
- Schneider Farris, Jo Ann. "Shipstads and Johnson Ice Follies". About Figureskating. About.com. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- Barnes, Brooks (May 20, 2014). "'Frozen' Will Be a Disney on Ice Show, Too, Riding a Blockbuster's Wave". The New York Times. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- "Feld Entertainment, Inc Company profile" (PDF). eswr.com. Feld Entertainment, Inc. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Disney Ice Extravaganza Opens". Los Angeles Times. Times Wire Services. July 1, 1988. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "About Feld Entertainment" (PDF). feldentertainment.com. Feld Entertainment. p. 2. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Holtzclaw, Mike (September 18, 2015). "11 Disney Princesses take to the ice in '100 Years of Magic' at Hampton Coliseum". dailypress.com. Daily Press Media Group. Retrieved March 27, 2017.