Diss High School
|Headteacher||Dr. Janet Hunt|
|Deputy Head||Mrs Alison Chilvers|
|DfE URN||137092 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Former pupils||Old Dysseans|
The school is split into two main blocks designated A and B. A block is home to the English, Geography and History departments. It also holds the main school library and the staff room. B block houses the maths, science and modern foreign languages departments as well as the hall, school office, head teacher's office and head of year offices. The Art and Design Technology departments have a separate block as does the Music department.
In February 2014, the school featured in several media reports after it announced a ban on skirts as part of the school uniform, to begin the following September. The ban received support from some parents and criticism from others. The governing body supported the ban with Norfolk County Council stating that it is for the school to set rules and regulations on uniform.
Diss High School and its predecessor schools have been attended by several notable former pupils. These include footballers Matthew Upson and Declan Rudd. Politician Ralph Howell, businessman Eric Nicoli and Church of England clergyman Christopher Dalliston all attended Diss Grammar School. Painter and etcher James Henry Govier taught art at the Grammar School between 1965 and 1972 after it merged with the grammar school in Eye. Writer and environmentalist Roger Deakin taught English and French at Diss Grammar for three years.
- "Diss High School: Summary". EduBase. Department for Education. Retrieved 2014-09-12.
- "Diss High School: School Census Data". EduBase. Department for Education. Retrieved 2014-09-12.
- Bareham, Dominic (11 February 2014). "Girls to be banned from wearing skirts at a Norfolk school - but what do you think?". Eastern Daily Press. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- Garratt, Luke (11 February 2014). "School BANS skirts in crackdown on 'immodest' clothes after girls keep their hemlines rising". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Top school bans girls from wearing skirts in crackdown on 'immodest' clothes". The Daily Telegraph. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "UK school bans skirts for girls". The Financial Express. Press Trust of India. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "'Football: Upson Makes History". Diss Express. 15 August 2008. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Football: Declan set to sign two-year Canaries contract". Diss Express. 16 May 2008. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Old pupils celebrate grammar's centenary". Diss Express. 25 September 2008. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "J H Govier". Eye Grammar Old Students' Association. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Obituaries: Roger Deakin". The Daily Telegraph. 22 August 2006. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- The Old Dyssean Society.
|This Norfolk school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|