Distant Light (Alex Lloyd album)
|Studio album by Alex Lloyd|
|Alex Lloyd chronology|
|Singles from Distant Light|
Distant Light is the third studio album by Australian singer-songwriter Alex Lloyd. Released in September 2003, it has been certified platinum in Australia and had three top 40 singles taken from it.
The Making of Distant Light
On the Chaos Music website, Lloyd states that the album is based on homesickness after a long stretch on the road promoting his second album Watching Angels Mend. "That was the headspace of where I was at the time. We went to a lot of strange places, maybe places I don’t want to revisit. It was a pretty lonely time. I think I’d reached a point where I’d just travelled too much."
Distant Light features Jim Moginie and Martin Rotsey of Midnight Oil on several tracks. It was produced by Stuart Miller, who had also produced Watching Angels Mend and mixed by Tony Hoffer who has worked with Air, Beck and Turin Brakes.
The album, with its first single winning Lloyd an ARIA for 'Best Male Artist' in 2003, was also nominated in two categories at the ARIAs in 2004: 'Engineer of the Year' and again, 'Best Male Artist'. The album has been certified platinum in Australia.
All tracks by Alex Lloyd
- "Hello The End" – 3:53
- "Distant Light" – 4:02
- "Coming Home" – 3:06
- "Far Away" – 4:20
- "1000 Miles" – 3:02
- "Save My Soul" – 3:56
- "Ordinary Boy" – 4:12
- "Beautiful" – 3:22
- "This Is A Call" – 4:07
- "Chasing The Sun" – 2:55
- "Light Is On" – 3:45
- "What's Wrong" – 3:49
- "America" – 3:33
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||9|
- Michael Barker – percussion, drums
- Andrew Bickers – horn
- Felix Bloxom – percussion, drums
- Brent Clark – engineer
- Sam Dixon – bass
- George Ellis Choir – chorus
- Georgia Ellis – string copyist
- Brian "Big Bass" Gardener – mastering
- Barbara Griffin – keyboards, backing vocals
- Stuart Hunter – keyboards, horn arrangements
- Alex Hewitson – double bass
- Tony Hoffer – mixing
- Kinnon Holt – guitar
- Andrew Bickers - saxophone
- Anthony Kable – trombone
- Stewart Kirwan – trumpet
- Alex Lloyd – bass, guitar, keyboards, vocals, producer, horn arrangements, string arrangements
- Stuart Miller – producer
- Jim Moginie – guitar, keyboards
- Simon Moor – A&R
- Kim Moyes – vibraphone
- Shane Nicholson – guitar, backing vocals
- John O'Donnell – A&R
- Benny Quinn – creative director
- Terepai Richmond – percussion, drums
- Michel Rose – pedal steel
- Martin Rotsey – guitar
- Luke Steele – guitar
- Simon Weller – photography
- The Encyclopedia of Popular Music Colin Larkin - 2006 - Volume 5 - Page 284 "LLOYD, ALEX Lloyd, he began writing and recording sessions for his debut album in Sydney, before relocating to Santa Monica, Los Angeles to complete the mastering. Although ... His third album, Distant Light, was released in summer 2004."
- "Australiancharts.com – Alex Lloyd – DISTANT LIGHT". Hung Medien. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Alex Lloyd chart positions. Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 17 June 2007.