|Release||March 25, 2010|
Distant Worlds was released on March 25, 2010. Three subsequent expansions, Return of the Shakturi, Legends, and Shadows were released in 2010, 2011, and 2013, respectively. The game appeared on the Steam platform on May 23, 2014 under the name Distant Worlds: Universe, gathering the original game and all expansions into a single package with new content.
Gameplay features up to 1,400 star systems, with up to 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids in a single game session.
Key differences from other games of the genre are the vast scale, along with task automation systems that help the player manage their empire.
Distant Worlds received generally positive reviews upon its release. RTSguru gave it 8 out of 10, praising the replayability and large galaxies, while diverting some criticism towards the user interface and graphics. Gamesquad awarded it an 8.0 out of 10, praising the automation options and the economical system of the game. However, they expressed some concern towards the game's tutorial, stating that "while the game does help the new player with its efficient UI and two tutorials, the player still feels like the game stuffs him in a spacesuit, gives him a pat on the back and kicks him out the airlock to fend for himself." Metacritic recorded a weighted average score of 81/100 for Distant Worlds: Universe.
Space Sector initially had mixed feelings towards the game, giving it 5.0 out of 10. While praising the vastness of the game, they ultimately felt that the interface, steep learning curve, lackluster graphics and some bad design implementations had made Distant Worlds "a dry, sterile, overwhelming, boring and ultimately not fun game to play." The reviewer, Adam Solo, later modified his article to an 8.8 out of 10, stating the game had vastly improved after several patches and its first expansion were released.
- "Distant Worlds". Matrix Games. 2009-11-24. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Matrix Games To Publish Distant Worlds - IGN". Pc.ign.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds Now Available for Purchase - IGN". Pc.ign.com. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Matrix Games - Press Release: Distant Worlds Now Available for Purchase!(707202)". Gamershell.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds - Return of the Shakturi". Matrix Games. 2009-11-24. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds - Legends". Matrix Games. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds- Shadows". Matrix Games. 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds: Universe press release". 2014-05-23. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "Distant Worlds - Reviews". Matrix Games. 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds Review". Rtsguru.com. 2011-06-30. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds". www.gamesquad.com. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Distant Worlds: Universe for PC Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "Distant Worlds Review". SpaceSector.com. 2011-02-13. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "The Bestest Best Strategy 2014 – Distant Worlds: Universe". Rock Paper Shotgun. 2014-12-14. Retrieved 2015-06-07.