Distinguished Gentleman's Ride
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride" is a global motorcycle fund-raising event, raising funds and awareness prostate cancer research and men's mental health programs  on behalf of Charity Partner, the Movember Foundation.
Open to all genders, The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride was founded in 2012 by Mark Hawwa in Sydney, Australia, and is centred around classic and vintage styled motorcycles. While the event encompasses classic and vintage style, it also welcomes niche custom motorcycle styles such as cafe racers, choppers, scramblers, and more.
The ride provides an outline of dress and behaviour, suggesting riders wear dapper clothing, silk vests, tweed suits and behave courteously, donning not only classic style, but classic manners. Suggested motorcycles for the themed ride include café racers, bobbers, classics, modern classics, flat trackers, scramblers, old school choppers, brat styled, classic scooters, and classic sidecars. The ride carries no entry fee, however, some rides require minimum donation amounts to join. All riders are encouraged to raise funds for prostate cancer research and men's mental health programs on behalf of charity partner, the Movember Foundation.
In 2014 Triumph Motorcycles started to support and sponsor the ride,. For 2019, joining global sponsors Triumph Motorcycles are luxury helmet brand, Hedon Helmets, as well as REV'IT!, and Elf Lubricants, joining the event as global prize sponsor.
- In 2012 over 2,500 riders participated in rides across 64 cities. The success of the event encouraged the organisers to consider how it could be used to support a worthy cause.
- In 2013, over 11,000 participants in 145 cities around the world raised over $277k AUD for the research of prostate cancer.
- In 2014, 20.000 riders in more than 250 cities collected nearly $1.5M USD into prostate cancer research on behalf of the Prostate Cancer Foundation UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
- In 2015, more than 37,000 participants in 410 cities from 79 countries mounted their motorcycles to raise awareness and $2.3M USD into prostate cancer research on behalf of the Prostate Cancer Foundation UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
- In 2016, more than 57,000 participants in 505 cities from 90 countries mounted their motorcycles to raise awareness and $3.65M USD to help fund research into prostate cancer and support male suicide prevention on behalf of The Movember Foundation.
- In 2017, more than 93,000 participants in 582 cities from 92 countries rallied to raise awareness and $4.85M USD to help fund research into prostate cancer and support men's mental health on behalf of The Movember Foundation.[failed verification]
- In 2018, more than 115,000 participants in 648 cities from 101 countries rallied to raise awareness and $6.3M USD to help fund research into prostate cancer and support men's mental health on behalf of The Movember Foundation.
- In 2019, the event is expecting more than 125,000 participants, in over 700 cities, and 102 countries, with an ambition of raising over $7M USD to fund prostate cancer research and men's mental health programs on behalf of charity partner, the Movember Foundation.
The event takes place on the last Sunday in September each year.
|Year||September||Number of registered riders worldwide||Funds Raised|
- "Style Guide". The 2016 Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Triumph Motorcycles UK
- "Prizes". The 2016 Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Chris Pratt Jurassic World Triumph Scrambler eBay Auction Ultimate Motorcycling, 21 July 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-16