District Council of Cleve
|District Council of Cleve
Location of the District Council of Cleve
|Population||1,795 (2015 est)|
|• Density||0.39830/km2 (1.03158/sq mi)|
|Area||4,506.7 km2 (1,740.0 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Roger Nield |
|Region||Eyre and Western|
|Website||District Council of Cleve|
The District Council of Cleve is a local government area on the eastern Eyre Peninsula in South Australia. The district is mostly agricultural in nature, but also encompasses the popular coastal tourist town of Arno Bay.
The District Council of Cleve is derived from Jervois County, which was incorporated into the District Council of Franklin Harbour when that council was first established in 1880. In 1911, the western end of the county was severed from Franklin Harbour, resulting in the creation of the present council.
The district's major towns were well established when the new council was announced, with Cleve established in 1879 and Arno Bay in 1883 under the name of 'Bligh'. Darke Peak was established in 1914, only three years after the council came into being.
Since before the council's establishment, the economy of the region has been based on agriculture, with cereal crops and livestock production prominent. Aquaculture is an emerging industry in the coastal towns.
The district encompasses a number of towns and localities, including Arno Bay, Boonerdo, Campoona, Cleve, Darke Peak, Jamieson, Kielpa, Mangalo, Murlong, Rudall, Verran and Wharminda, and part of Hambidge, Hincks and Waddikee.
Cleve has the biggest selection of retail shops, including a supermarket, clothing stores, banking facilities, professional & medical services, service industries, post office, rural supplies, hotel, mechanical & RAA services, newsagency and pharmacy. Between them, Arno Bay and Darke Peal provide a general store, a post office, fuel suppliers, mechanical services and a hotel.
|Unsubdivided ||Doug Burton|
|Bryan Trigg||Deputy Mayor|
Chairmen and mayors
- Francis Joseph Brooks (1933-1936) 
- Edwin Mathew Mitchell (1936-1947) 
- William Henry Pearce (1947-1956) 
- Otto Keith Fauser (1956-1959) 
- Thomas David Rodda (1959-1960) 
- Joseph William Rehn (1961-1964) 
- David William Wake (1964) 
- George Arthur Potter (1965) 
- Thomas David Rodda (1966-1972) 
- Royce Alfred Pearce (1972) 
- Robert Marshall Burton (1973-1985) 
- Dean Horace Turnbull (1985-?) 
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Elected Members". District Council of Cleve. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Eyre Western SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- District Council of Cleve, General Information, archived from the original on 2007-08-29, retrieved 2007-05-19
- "Location SA Map Viewer". Government of South Australia. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- South Australia, the civic record, 1836-1986. Wakefield Press. 1986. pp. 407–409.