District Council of Coober Pedy
|District Council of Coober Pedy
Location of the District Council of Coober Pedy in blue
|• Density||24.589/km2 (63.68/sq mi)|
|Area||77.8 km2 (30.0 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Michelle Provatidis |
|Council seat||Coober Pedy|
|Website||District Council of Coober Pedy|
The District Council of Coober Pedy is a local government area located around the opal mining town of the same name in Outback South Australia. The district's economy is based on the large opal deposits found beneath it, which have made it a major mining centre and also a popular tourist destination.
The town of Coober Pedy was settled entirely for the large finds of opal nearby, with the first deposits uncovered in 1915, before substantially more miners moved in by 1917. The town was named ‘Coober Pedy’ by the local Progress and Miners Association in 1920 from the Aboriginal words "Kupa Piti", meaning white man's hole or waterhole.
With a growing population of over 3000 in 1980, the move was made to establish local government in the area. Although there was some initial controversy, the first elections were held in 1987, signalling the establishment of the council.
Since the establishment of the town, the district has relied nearly solely on the mining of the gemstone opal. After the initial discovery in 1915, a number of large strikes, particularly in 1946 saw renewed interest, and by the 1960s, opal mining was a multimillion-dollar industry, and has remained that way to the present day.
|Mayor ||Michelle Provatidis|
|Unsubdivided ||Paul Athanasiadis|
The District Council of Coober Pedy has a directly-elected mayor.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". Archived from the original on 5 June 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "District Council of Coober Pedy, Mayor, 7 December 2015". Electoral Commission of South Australia. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Far North SA Government Region" (PDF). Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Coober Pedy District Council, History, retrieved 2007-05-30
- Coober Pedy: Opal Capital of Earth, Tourism, retrieved 2007-05-30
- "District Council of Coober Pedy". Local Government Association of South Australia. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Elected Members". District Council of Coober Pedy. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "District Council of Coober Pedy, Area Councillors, 7 December 2015". Electoral Commission of South Australia. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "District Council of Coober Pedy, Area Councillors, 14 June 2016". Electoral Commission of South Australia. Retrieved 27 June 2016.