Administrative divisions of Kosovo
|Districts of Kosovo|
|Created by||Constitution of Kosovo|
|Populations||174,235 (Peć) – 477,312 (Pristina)|
|Areas||1,000 km2 (400 sq mi) (Ferizaj) – 2,500 km2 (950 sq mi) (Pristina)|
|Subdivisions||Municipalities of Kosovo|
Kosovo is administratively subdivided into seven districts (Albanian: Rajone; Serbian: Окрузи, Okruzi). They are further subdivided into 38 municipalities (Albanian: Komuna, Serbian: Oпштина or Opština).
Districts of Kosovo
in 2011 (rank)
|District of Ferizaj
(Rajoni i Ferizajit/Uroševački okrug)
|District of Gjakova
(Rajoni i Gjakovës/Đakovički okrug)
|District of Gjilan
(Rajoni i Gjilanit/Gnjilanski okrug)
|District of Mitrovica
(Rajoni i Mitrovicës/Kosovskomitrovački okrug)
|District of Peja/Peć
(Rajoni i Pejës/Pećki okrug)
|District of Pristina
(Rajoni i Prishtinës/Prištinski okrug)
|District of Prizren
(Rajoni i Prizrenit/Prizrenski okrug)
District changes in 2000
Under the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK), established in 1999, new districts were formed in 2000.
- on the territory of the Kosovska Mitrovica District it made new District of Mitrovica.
- on the territory of the Peć District it made new District of Peć and District of Gjakova and additionally:
- it transferred the municipality of Orahovac to the District of Gjakova.
- it split the Kosovo District in two – the new District of Pristina and District of Ferizaj.
- it renamed the Kosovo-Pomoravlje District as the District of Gjilan.
- it transferred the municipality of Novo Brdo to the District of Pristina.
- it reformed the Prizren District into District of Prizren by the following:
- it merged the municipalities of Gora and Opolje into the new municipality of Dragaš
- it formed new municipality Mališevo by taking territories from the municipalities of Orahovac (Prizren District/District of Gjakova), Suva Reka (District of Prizren), Klina (District of Peć) and Glogovac (Kosovo District/District of Pristina).
- it transferred the bigger part of Orahovac municipality that is outside of the new municipality of Mališevo to the District of Gjakova.
Serbia protested about the new territorial division and does not see it as legitimate, but by the United Nations Mission in Kosovo administration implemented it regardless of Serbia's protests, because it has such authority established by virtue of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244.
- "Komunat në rajonin e Ferizajt".
- "Komunat në rajonin e Gjakovës".
- "Komunat në rajonin e Gjilanit".
- "Komunat në rajonin e Mitrovicës".
- "Komunat në rajonin e Pejës".
- "Komunat e Kosovës: Rajoni Kosovë".
- "Komunat në rajonin e Prizrenit".