Districts of Rwanda
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The five provinces of Rwanda are divided into 30 districts (Kinyarwanda: uturere, sing. akarere). Each district is in turn divided into sectors (Kinyarwanda: imirenge, sing. umurenge), which are in turn divided into cells (Kinyarwanda: utuguari, sing. akagari), which are in turn divided into villages (Kinyarwanda: imidugudu, sing. umudugudu).
Prior to 2002, Rwanda was composed of prefectures, subprefectures (which were sometimes called "districts") and 154 communes (Kinyarwanda: imiyji, sing. umuyji). In 2002, communes were replaced by two kinds of divisions called districts and municipalities (Kinyarwanda: akarere and umujyi). In 2006, the number of districts was reduced from 106 to 30.
The districts are listed below, by province.
- 1 Current list of districts by province
- 2 Former list of districts by province (2002–2006)
- 3 Communes of Rwanda (pre-2002)
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Current list of districts by province
Kigali, City of
Former list of districts by province (2002–2006)
City of Kigali
Kigili Rural Province
- Kabuga Town
- Gitarama Town
- Ruhango Town
- Butare Town
- Nyanza Town
- Gikongoro Town
- Cyangugu Town
- Kibuye Town
- Gisenyi Town
- Ruhengeri Town
- Byumba Town
- Umutara Town
- Kibungo Town
- Rwamagana Town
Communes of Rwanda (pre-2002)
- Des Forges, Alison (March 1999). Leave None to Tell the Story: Genocide in Rwanda – Butare: "Workers who want to work for their country". New York: Human Rights Watch. ISBN 1-56432-171-1.
The sub-prefect of Nyabisindu collected weapons for the communes in his district.... The sub-prefect of Gisagara was responsible for conducting meetings in the five communes of his district...
- "Districts of Rwanda". Statoids. Gwillim Law. 27 April 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- Brown, Gillian; Cliffe, Sarah; Guggenheim, Scott; Kostner, Markus; Opper, Susan (July 2002). "A Tale of Two Projects: Community-Based Reconstruction in East Timor and Rwanda" (pdf). Social Funds Innovation Update – Volume 2 No. 4. Social Funds thematic group of the Human Development Network – Social Protection, The World Bank. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Administrative maps". Territorial Administration. Ministry of Local Government, Government of Rwanda. 5 May 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011.