List of districts of Uttarakhand
A district of Uttarakhand state is an administrative geographical unit, headed by a Deputy Commissioner or District Magistrate, an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service. The district magistrate or the deputy commissioner is assisted by a number of officers belonging to Uttarakhand Civil Service and other Uttarakhand state services.
A Superintendent of Police, an officer belonging to the Indian Police Service is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues of the district. He is assisted by the officers of the Uttarakhand Police Service and other Uttarakhand Police officials.
A Deputy Conservator of Forests, an officer belonging to the Indian Forest Service is responsible for managing the Forests, environment and wild-life related issues of the district. He is assisted by the officers of the Uttarakhand Forest Service and other Uttarakhand Forest officials and Uttarakhand Wild-Life officials.
Sectoral development is looked after by the district head of each development department such as PWD, Health, Education, Agriculture, Animal husbandry, etc. These officers belong to the various State Services.
Four new districts are proposed in Uttarakhand: Ranikhet, Didihat, Kotdwar and Yamunotri.
|Code||District||Headquarters||Population (As of 2011[update])||Area (km²)||Density (/km²)||Division||Map|
|US||Udham Singh Nagar||Rudrapur||1,648,367||2,908||567||Kumaon|
- Didihat, from Pithoragarh district
- Haldwani, from Nainital district
- Kashipur, from Udham Singh Nagar district
- Kotdwar, from Pauri Garhwal district
- Ramnagar, from Nainital district
- Ranikhet, from Almora district
- Rishikesh, from Dehradun district, Tehri Garhwal district, and Pauri Garhwal district
- Roorkee, from Haridwar district
- Yamunotri, from Uttarkashi district
Other District Demands
- Chakrata, from Dehradun district
- Dharchula, from Pithoragarh district
- Gangotri, from Uttarkashi district
- Joshimath, from Chamoli district
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Districts of Uttarakhand.|