Cover of the first novel published by Kodansha
|Written by||Eto Mori|
|Original run||April 20, 2000 – August 8, 2002|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||2007 – 2008|
|Directed by||Naoto Kumazawa|
|Released||June 14, 2008|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kaoru Suzuki|
|Written by||Tōko Machida|
|Original network||Fuji TV (Noitamina)|
|Original run||July 6, 2017 – September 21, 2017|
|Written by||Eto Mori|
|Illustrated by||Ruzuru Akashiba|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||July 2017 – present|
DIVE!! (Japanese: ダイブ Hepburn: Daibu) is a novel series written by Eto Mori. Four novels were published by Kodansha between August 20, 2000 and August 8, 2002. An anime television series aired from July 6 to September 21, 2017.
The story centers on the Mizuki Diving Club (MDC) member Tomoki Sakai. The MDC has fallen on hard times, and their sponsors are preparing to pull their support. They promise to give the club another year of support if the new coach, Kayoko Asaki, can get one of the members into the Olympics in a year's time.
- Tomoki Sakai (坂井知季 Sakai Tomoki)
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji
- Portrayed by: Kento Hayashi
- A middle schooler in the MDC who's been diving for six years. He has a natural flexibility and an excellent dynamic vision. He was a mediocre diver at first, but quickly improved under the guidance of Kayoko.
- Yōichi Fujitani (富士谷要一 Fujitani Youichi)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai
- Portrayed by: Sosuke Ikematsu / Takumi Kitamura
- A diving thoroughbred with two former divers as parents. He's a high school student who's beem diving ever since his second-year in elementary school. He was the middle school champion for three years in a row.
- Shibuki Okitsu (沖津飛沫 Okitsu Shibuki)
- Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura
- Portrayed by: Junpei Mizobata
- Reiji Maruyama (丸山レイジ Maruyama Reiji)
- Voiced by: Kōki Uchiyama
- Ryō Ōhiro (大広陵 Ouhiro Ryou)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka
- Sachiya Yoshida (吉田幸也 Yoshida Sachiya)
- Voiced by: Yūsuke Kobayashi
- Kayoko Asaki (麻木夏陽子 Asaki Kayoko)
- Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
- Keisuke Fujitani (富士谷敬介 Fujitani Keisuke)
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi
- Chikara Ōshima (大島 力 Ooshima)
- Voiced by: Wataru Hatano
- Kenichirō Teramoto (寺本健一郎 Teramoto Kenichirou)
- Kiyotaka Matsuno (松野清孝 Matsuno Kiyotaka)
- Voiced by: Kenshō Ono
- Atsuhiko Yamada (山田篤彦 Yamada Atsuhiko)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- Toshihiko Tsuji (辻利彦 Tsuji Toshihiko)
- Voiced by: Shouta Aoi
- Jirō Hirayama (平山二郎 Hiryama Jirou)
- Voiced by: Kengo Kawanishi
- Hiroya Sakai (坂井弘也 Sakai Hiroya)
- Voiced by: Ryōhei Kimura
- Miu Nomura (野村未羽 Nomura Miu)
- Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
Dive!! is a series of novels written by Eto Mori. Four tankōbon were published by Kadokawa between April 20, 2000 and August 8, 2002. Kodansha released the series in two bunkobon on May 26, 2006. A combined version of the two bunkobon was also released on June 18, 2016 as an e-book.
A new manga adaptation illustrated by Ruzuru Akashiba has been announced and will be published in Kadokawa's Young Ace magazine. Yen Press announced at Anime Expo 2018 that they had licensed the new manga adaptation.
A film based on the novels was released in 2008. Directed by Naoto Kumazawa, starring Kento Hayashi.
An anime television series aired from July 6 to September 21, 2017, on Fuji TV's Noitamina block. Kaoru Suzuki directed it at Zero-G, Touko Machida in charge of scripts and Yuki Hayashi in charge of music composition. The opening theme is "Taiyō mo Hitoribocchi" (The Sun Is Also Lonely) performed by Kyoto-based band Qyoto. The ending theme is "New World" performed by solo artist Yūta Hashimoto. It was streamed by Amazon on its Anime Strike. Sentai Filmworks have licensed the anime for a home video release.
|No.||Title[a]||Original air date|
|1||"Dive to Blue"||July 6, 2017|
|2||"Concentration Dragon"||July 13, 2017|
|3||"Enter Shibuki"||July 20, 2017|
|4||"The Strong Men"||July 27, 2017|
|5||"The Days of Gray"||August 3, 2017|
|6||"Diamond Eyes"||August 10, 2017|
|7||"Dear Friends"||August 17, 2017|
|8||"So I Envy You!"||August 24, 2017|
|9||"Next Stage Coming"||August 31, 2017|
|10||"Meet the Monster"||September 7, 2017|
|11||"Final Stage"||September 14, 2017|
|12||"Concrete Dragon"||September 21, 2017|
- All English titles are taken from Anime Strike.
Anime News Network had five editors review the first episode of the anime: Theron Martin said that despite the animation not being eye-catching, he commended it for having likable characters with heart and setting up an intriguing story from the start; Paul Jensen was critical of both the male cast having dissimilar personalities and the art of diving only being half explained but said that a couple of episodes can help the series' narrative be more focused and capture the attention of genre viewers; James Beckett found the cast of male characters unappealing in terms of design and the diving scenes lacking in excitement but was optimistic of the Olympic plotline being able to put the series in the right direction; Rebecca Silverman felt that both plotlines involving the Mizuki Diving Club and Tomoki's arc weren't particularly interesting and noted how the character of Yoichi "talks like he's a motivational poster." The fifth reviewer, Nick Creamer, criticized it for making the sport of diving sound boring, lacking any directional hook for both the story and its characters and being unimpressive in its animation, concluding that it "isn't necessarily the worst show I've watched this season, it probably does the most to squander its potential. Maybe check it out if you're really intrigued by the concept, but both the writing and visual problems here seem pretty insurmountable."
- "Dive!!". Sentai Filmworks. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- "ＤＩＶＥ！！（１） 前宙返り３回半抱え型" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "ＤＩＶＥ！！（４） コンクリートドラゴン" (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "DIVE!! Anime's 1st Promo Video Reveals Cast, July 6 Premiere". Anime News Network. May 25, 2017. Retrieved May 25, 2017.
- "DIVE!!". Websunday.net. April 17, 2007. Archived from the original on 2008-04-27.
- "DIVE!! Anime Reveals 2nd Promo Video, More Cast". Anime News Network. June 25, 2017. Retrieved June 25, 2017.
- "DIVE!! Anime Casts Kensho Ono, Shouta Aoi, Kengo Kawanishi, Ryohei Kimura". Anime News Network. June 15, 2017. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- "Dive!! [Japanese Edition] (Volume # 2) (Japanese) Paperback Bunko – 2006". Amazon.
- "Eto Mori's DIVE!! Novels Get New Manga Adaptation". Anime News Network. May 1, 2017. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- Ressler, Karen (July 8, 2018). "Yen Press Licenses Happy Sugar Life, Kakegurui Twins Manga, Penguin Highway, Walk on Girl, Mirai Novels (Updated)". Anime News Network. Retrieved September 8, 2018.
- "Eto Mori's DIVE!! Novel Series Gets TV Anime on Noitamina in July". Anime News Network. December 15, 2016. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "Yūta Hashimoto Performs DIVE!! Anime's Ending Theme Song". Anime News Network. June 22, 2017. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "Amazon's Anime Strike Announces Full Summer Lineup, Premiere Dates". Anime News Network. June 30, 2017. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses Dive!! Anime". Anime News Network. August 28, 2018. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- "Dive!! - The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide". Anime News Network. July 5, 2017. Retrieved October 20, 2017.