|Publisher||Katherine Tegen Books|
|Media type||Print (hardcover and paperback)|
The Divergent trilogy is a series of young adult science fiction adventure novels by Veronica Roth set in a post-apocalyptic dystopian Chicago. The trilogy consists of Divergent (2011), Insurgent (2012) and Allegiant (2013).
The society of the trilogy defines its citizens by their social and personality-related affiliation with five different factions, which removes the threat of anyone exercising independent will and threatening the population's safety. Beatrice Prior, who later changed her name to Tris, an Abnegation-born and Dauntless transfer, must figure out her life as a Divergent, while concealing her true nature, and living with the danger of being killed if it is discovered by the Dauntless leaders.
List of books
Four: A Divergent Collection
The trilogy received mostly positive reviews from critics. Critics praised Divergent for its "plot" and "action". Insurgent was praised for its "writing" and "pace". Another critic said that, "No one can argue that Divergent is not a fun, edge-of-your-seat read. It is easy to get submerged in, effortless to remain engaged in, and impossible not to enjoy even the slightest bit." Allegiant was praised for being "gripping" and for the love story, but was criticized for its ending and prose.
Summit Entertainment bought the rights to film an adaptation of the novel and recruited Neil Burger to direct, with Shailene Woodley starring as Beatrice "Tris" Prior and Theo James as Tobias "Four" Eaton. Lionsgate and its subsidiary Summit Entertainment distributed the film.  Kate Winslet was signed as Jeanine Matthews. Also recruited into the cast were Maggie Q as Tori, Zoe Kravitz as Christina, Ansel Elgort as Caleb, Miles Teller as Peter, Ashley Judd as Natalie Prior, Tony Goldwyn as Andrew Prior, and Jai Courtney as Eric. Divergent was released on March 21, 2014. Insurgent began filming in Atlanta on May 27, 2014. Insurgent was released on March 20, 2015.
- Christopher Borrelli (22 October 2013). "The next YA superstar?". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) by Veronica Roth". Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "Allegiant (Divergent Series #3) (B&N Exclusive Edition) by Veronica Roth". Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- Dominus, Susan (12 May 2011). "In This Dystopia, Teens Must Choose Wisely". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Angulo Chen, Sandie. "Divergent". Common Sense Media. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "Insurgent Veronica Roth. HarperCollins/Tegen". Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- Tsui, Katie. "Teen book nook: Review of "Divergent"". Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Siegel, Tatiana; Kit, Borys (March 15, 2013). "'Downton Abbey's' Theo James Nabs Male Lead in Summit's 'Divergent'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Kit, Borys; Siegel, Tatiana (March 11, 2013). "Maggie Q, Zoe Kravitz and Ansel Elgort Join 'Divergent' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- "‘Divergent’ Sequel ‘Insurgent’ Starts Filming in Atlanta May 27th!". Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "‘The Divergent Series’: ‘Insurgent’ to be Released in March 2015; The Spark between Shailene and Theo Continues". Retrieved 20 July 2015.