Diversey (CTA station)
|Location||943 West Diversey Parkway
Chicago, Illinois 60614
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
Purple Line weekday rush hours only
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||June 9, 1900|
|Passengers (2015)||1,725,195 3.6%|
|Rank||38 out of 143[a]|
Diversey is an 'L' station on the CTA Brown Line; Purple Line express trains also stop at the station during weekday rush hours. It is an elevated station with two side platforms, located in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. Red Line trains pass through the station on the middle tracks, but do not stop.
Diversey station opened on June 9, 1900, as a local station on the original Northwestern Elevated Railroad route from Lake and Wells in downtown to Wilson Station. From the late 1940s Diversey became a station on the Ravenswood route (now the Brown Line). Purple Line express trains began stopping at the station in 1998 as part of an effort to help alleviate congestion on the Brown Line.
Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project
Diversey was reconstructed and renovated as part of the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project. The new station is located on the south side of Diversey Parkway, and the current location (the north side) was preserved and restored (the future use of the restored original station building is currently unknown). An auxiliary exit is located next door to the original building. It features extended platforms capable of berthing eight railcars, and elevators to meet ADA accessibility requirements. It also retains many of its historic elements. On June 25, 2007, the station closed for reconstruction. The station reopened with a temporary entrance (located next door to the original entrance) on March 30, 2008. The new, permanent station entrance opened on August 4, 2008.
- 76 Diversey
Notes and references
- Due to possible double-counting of physically-connected stations, the CTA's official 2015 tally of stations was 146, but for ridership purposes reported having only 143 stations.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2015" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 11, 2016. Retrieved March 23, 2016.
- "Boys Meddle with "L" Track". Chicago Daily Tribune. June 7, 1900. p. 12.
- Diversey Chicago-"L".org (URL accessed October 8, 2006).
- About The Brown Line. CTA Countdown To A New Brown website (URL accessed October 8, 2006).
- Diversey. CTA Countdown To A New Brown website (URL accessed October 8, 2006).
Media related to Diversey (CTA) at Wikimedia Commons