Diversity marketing (inclusive marketing, inclusion marketing, or in-culture marketing) is a marketing paradigm which sees marketing (and especially marketing communications) as a way to connect with the different individuals in the market. As society has progressed companies have learned that not everyone can be chalked up as the same and that every person has different life experiences, may it be religion culture or beliefs. "Diversity marketing involves acknowledging that marketing and advertising must offer alternative ways of communicating to these diverse groups. With that knowledge, diversity marketers aim to develop a mix of different communication methods, in order to reach people in each of the diverse groups present in the market" Thus diversity marketing is the process in which companies study the market they are in or about to enter by different mean(e.g. surveys, focus groups or in some cases telecommunication). Diversity marketing is helping business owners and operators in all levels to connect with society through communication channels that best reach them, this creates exposure for the company which creates brand awareness. Diversity marketing realizes the markets vast differences and the market/consumers have different tastes may it be values, beliefs, interaction type and lifestyle choices. Such vast differences are then tackled by customized marketing strategies
"From a Marketing management perspective, culturally diverse environments, creates new challenges in recognizing, cultivating and reconciling different culture groups' perspectives within the same market"
Examples of Firms Using Diversity Marketing
"Currently, diversity marketing is employed by any business seeking to reach new customers in different racial, ethnic, cultural, or social groups. It is particularly important when interacting with the global marketplace, as audiences in different countries rarely respond to the same message in the same way. Meanwhile, as the domestic market becomes more diverse, more companies are adopting diversity marketing tactics".
Some companies that use this technique are
- Procter and Gamble- Has invested a great deal into the African American community
- Harley Davidson - Began marketing to women when they started to offer classes for females to learn to ride.
- Saturn- Has reached out by Sponsoring LGBT events
- Target- Their advertisements go against stereotypical views, particularly when it comes to the African American community.
- McDonald's - does extensive research into different races and ethnic groups to ensure their products fit all.
- AT&T - Dedicated a Job to ensuring the businesses marketing is diverse and attracts all races and ethnic groups.
- Dove - Challenged the beauty industry's standard of beauty with an all-inclusive campaign by featuring women of all ages, races, shapes, and sizes.
- Dahl, S. Diversity Marketing, Thomson, 2002
- Dahl, S.(2004) Cross-Cultural Advertising Research: What Do We Know About the Influence of Culture on Advertising? London, England . Retrieved From http://ssrn.com/abstract=658221
- TransCity, European online platform on Diversity Marketing
- Marketing Schools.(2012).Diversity Marketing. Retrieved from http://www.marketing-schools.org/types-of-marketing/diversity-marketing.html
- Rao, C. (2012) Marketing and Multicultural Diversity. Retrieved from http://www.ebrary.com
- Marketing Schools (2012). "Diversity Marketing". Retrieved 2016. Check date values in:
- Gilly, Penaloza, Mary C, Lisa N. Responding to Diversity.
- Rao, C (2012). Marketing and Multicultural Diversity. p. 1.
- "Spanish speakers cite service communication gap", USA Today, June 6, 2007