Divine Child High School
|Divine Child High School|
|1001 North Silvery Lane
Dearborn, Michigan, (Wayne County), 48128
|Motto||Virtus Cum Scientia
(Virtue With Knowledge)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Asst. Principal||J. Mike Courage and Eric Haley|
|Pastor||Fr. Jim Bilot|
|• Grade 9||225|
|• Grade 10||220|
|• Grade 11||185|
|• Grade 12||215|
|Student to teacher ratio||13:1|
|Color(s)||Red and grey|
|Athletics conference||Catholic High School League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Average ACT scores||24|
|Tuition||$6,700 in parish, $8,100 out of parish (2015-2016)|
|Director of Advancement||Kristin Hermann|
|Director of Admissions||Matthew Saxer|
|Athletic Director||Tony DeMare|
|Campus Minister||Timothy Horst|
Divine Child was opened in September 1958 by Monsignor Herbert Weier. Initially, it consisted of 84 freshmen, two Bernadine Sisters, and an athletic coach. The Class of 1962, the first graduating class, consisted of 69 students. The original building consisted of 37,478 square feet (3,481.8 m2) of space including ten classrooms, two science labs, a small library, a typing and office machines room, and a study hall room. Since then, eleven additions have significantly increased the size and facilities of the school.
Divine Child offers classes in the following areas: theology, math, science, English, social studies, world languages, fine & applied arts, physical education/health, and technology. Divine Child's curriculum is varied to meet the needs and interests of each student. A total of 26.0 units of credit are required for graduation including demonstrating proficiency with computers.
The bands in the school are the marching band, pep band, symphonic band, and jazz band. Each band plays music that suits their genre and plays their music at different events throughout the school year. In the spring of 2006, the jazz band won 'Best Jazz Ensemble' at the Music In The Parks. In 2008, the marching band was invited to perform at Mitt Romney’s candidacy for the presidential race. In 2011 and 2015, the Marching Band performed at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The Marching Band has also performed at America's Thanksgiving Parade every year since 2011.
Divine Child High School has the largest Athletic Program in the Catholic High School League (CHSL). Divine Child offers 24 Sports and 52 Teams. These teams include basketball, football, hockey, golf, soccer, track, cross country, wrestling, bowling, softball, sideline and competitive cheerleading, figure skating, lacrosse and other sports.
- State Championships
- Baseball (Boys): 1992, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010
- Basketball (Boys): 1973, 1977
- Basketball (Girls): 1985 Runner Up, 1986, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1999, 2011
- Competitive Cheer (Girls): 1985, 1996
- Pom Pom (Girls): 2001, 2002, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015
- Cross Country (Boys): 1982 Class B Runner-Up, 1993 Class B Runner-Up
- Figure Skating (Girls): 2000, 2005, 2008
- Football (Boys): 1961, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1985
- Hockey (Boys): 2002
- Softball (Girls): 1975, 1986
- Winterguard: 1999
- Golf (Boys): 2010
- Track and Field (Girls): 2010, 2012, 2013
- Chess (Boys): Pawnmaster Champions 2010
Divine Child also offers many clubs and after-school programs, including Academic Quiz Bowl, Anime Club, Art Studio, Astronomy Club, Bowling Club, Boys Intramurals, Boys Varsity Club, Car Club, Chess Tournament, Competitive Science, Culinary Arts, Drama Club, Forensics, Games Club, German Club, International Thespian Society, Latin Club, Literary Magazine, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Robotics, Spanish Club, and Video Game Club.
Divine Child also offers musical and theatrical activities, including a fall play and spring musical, bands — marching, symphonic, jazz, pit, pep, and show choir.
State Championships Forensics- 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Gary Danielson, Class of 1969 - A former professional quarterback for the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns and current CBS College Football analyst.
- Pat Shurmur, Class of 1983 - Lineman for Michigan State University, current Offensive Coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles and former head coach for the Cleveland Browns
- Mike Cervenak, MLB player (Philadelphia Phillies)
- Elizabeth Jarosz, Class of 1991 - One of the candidates on season two of The Apprentice.
- Jim Herrmann, NCAA and NFL assistant football coach
- Tom Dohring, Lineman for University of Michigan and Kansas City Chiefs.
- Jeff Chadwick, NFL wide receiver
- Bill McCartney, National Championship winning coach with the Colorado Buffaloes, former DC basketball and football coach.
- James Finn Garner, Author
- Ryan Anderson (baseball), First Round MLB Draft Pick, Pitcher.
- Chris Rusin, MLB pitcher for the Colorado Rockies.
- Brian Zahra, Class of 1977- Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court
- Richard Miller, Class of 1978- Dearborn Fire Chief and Michigan State Fire Marshal
- Court of Appeals Judge Michael Talbot- Class of 1963
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link]