Divisions of Bangladesh
|Divisions of Bangladesh|
|Location||People's Republic of Bangladesh|
|Populations||8,325,666 (Barisal) – 36,054,418 (Dhaka)|
|Areas||10,584.06 km2 (4,086.53 sq mi) (Mymensingh) – 33,908.55 km2 (13,092.16 sq mi) (Chittagong)|
Divisional Commissioner (Administrator)
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Bibhag (Bengali: বিভাগ, lit. 'division') is the first-level administrative division in Bangladesh. There are currently 8 divisions of Bangladesh, each is named after the major city within its jurisdiction that also serves as the administrative seat of that division. Each division is further split into several districts (জেলা jela) which are then further sub-divided into Upazilas (উপজেলা upôjela).
In 1993, Barisal Division was split off from Khulna Division; in 1995, Sylhet Division was split off from Chittagong Division; and in 2010 (25 January), Rangpur Division was split off from Rajshahi Division. In terms of area the newly formed Rangpur Division ranked fifth followed by Barisal Division and Sylhet Division.
Divisional Commissioner is the administrative head of a division. Divisional Commissioner is appointed by the government from an Additional Secretary of B.C.S. Administration Cadre. The role of a Divisional Commissioner's office is to act as the supervisory head of all the government Offices (except the central government offices) situated in the division. A Divisional Commissioner is given the direct responsibility of supervising the revenue and development administration of a division. The Divisional Commissioner is assisted by the several Additional Divisional Commissioners, Senior Assistant Commissioners and other bureaucratic officials.
List of divisions
The following table outlines some key statistics about the eight divisions of Bangladesh as found in the 2011 Population and Housing Census conducted by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
|Division||Headquarter||Subdivisions||Area (km2)||Population (2011)||Density (people/|
- Comilla Division or Maynamati Division – proposed to consist six northwestern districts of the existing Chittagong Division, formerly known as Comilla Region.
- Faridpur Division or Padma Division - proposed to have the five districts south of the Padma in the existing Dhaka division
- ISO 3166 codes
- List of divisions of Bangladesh by Human Development Index
- Districts of Bangladesh
- Upazilas of Bangladesh
- Villages of Bangladesh
- "Divisions of Bangladesh". Statoids. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Divisional And District Commissioners Are Important For A Prosperous Bangladesh: PM". Archived from the original on 11 November 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "New divisional commissioner joins". The Independent. Dhaka.
- "2011 Population & Housing Census: Preliminary Results" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "3 new divisions to be formed". The Independent. Dhaka. Archived from the original on 15 February 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- ময়মনসিংহ বিভাগ গঠনে কাজ শুরুর নির্দেশ প্রধানমন্ত্রীর. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Mymensingh to become new division". The Daily Star. Archived from the original on 15 February 2015. Retrieved 26 January 2015.