Naalayira Divya Prabhandham
|Part of a series on|
|Hindu scriptures and texts|
|Related Hindu texts|
The Nalayira Divya Prabandham (Tamil: நாலாயிரத் திவ்வியப் பிரபந்தம், nālāyira tivviya pirapantam) is a collection of 4,000 Tamil verses (Naalayiram in Tamil means 'four thousand') composed  by the 12 Alvars, and was compiled in its present form by Nathamuni during the 9th – 10th centuries. The work, an important liturgical compilation of the Tamil Alvar Bhaktas, marks the beginning of the canonization of 12 Vaishnava poet saints, and these hymns are still sung extensively today. The works were lost before they were collected and organized in the form of an anthology by Nathamuni.
The Divya Prabandham sings the praise of Narayana (or Vishnu) and his many forms. The Alvars sang these songs at various sacred shrines known as the Divya Desams. The Tamil Vaishnavites are also known as Ubhaya Vedanti (those that follow both Vedas, i.e., the Sanskrit Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samaveda and Atharvaveda, as well as the Tamil-language Tiruvaymoli, a work which many South Indian devotees regard as the Tamil Veda). In many temples — Srirangam, for example — the chanting of the Divya Prabhandham forms a major part of the daily service.
Prominent among its 4,000 verses are the over 1,100 verses known as the Tiruvaymoli or Thiruvaaymozhi ("words of the sacred mouth"), composed by Nammalvar (Kaari Maaran, Sadagopan of Alwarthirunagari Temple) and which forms the third portion of the overall Divya Prabandham. Nammalvar self-identifies as a lovelorn gopi pining for Krishna. 
Nathamuni was born in Veera Naarayanapuram (Veeranam) or present-day Kaattu Mannaar Koil. There is a long time gap between Thirumangai Alvar (the last alvar) and Nathamuni. In this dark period, nobody knew what happened to the 4,000 verses of the text.
Legend has it that once Nathamuni heard some people reciting the decad of Aaraavamude of Nammaazhvaar at Kumbakonam. Captivated by these pasurams (hymns), he wanted to know more about them. One of the verses also mentioned Aayiraththul Ippaththu (Tamil: these 10 out of the 1000). When Nathamuni enquired about the remaining 990, the people who sang the 10 did not know anything about the other verses. But as the song mentioned the name and place of the azhwar (Kurugoor Satakopan), Nathamuni proceeded to Thirukurugoor and asked the people there about Swami Nammazhwar's 1,000 verses.
The people did not know the 1,000 verses that Nathamuni wanted, but they told him about 11 pasurams (hymns) of Madhurakavi Alvar, a disciple of Nammazhwar Kanninun Siruthaambu. They asked him to go to Thiruppuliaazhwar, the place where Nammazhwar lived, and recite these 11 pasurams 12,000 times. Nathamuni did as advised, and pleased with his penance, Nammazhwar granted him not only his 1,000 pasurams, but the entire 4,000-pasuram collection of all the Alvars.
Details of Pasurams
|Part of a series on|
The following table shows the details of the 4,000 pasurams (hymns).
|Sl no||Name of the prabandham||Starting from||Ending with||Number of pasurams||Sung by|
|4||Perumal Thirumozhi||647||751||105||Kulasekara alvar|
|5||Thiruchchanda Viruththam||752||871||120||Thirumalisai alvar|
|8||Amalanadhi piran||927||936||10||Thiruppaan alvar|
|9||Kanni Nun Siruththambu||937||947||11||Madhurakavi Alvar|
|10||Peria Thirumozhi||948||2031||1084||Thirumangai alvar|
|11||Kurun Thandagam||2032||2051||20||Thirumangai alvar|
|12||Nedum Thandagam||2052||2081||30||Thirumangai alvar|
|13||Mudhal Thiruvandhadhi||2082||2181||100||Poigai Alvar|
|16||Naanmugan Thiruvandhadhi||2382||2477||96||Thirumalisai alvar|
|21||Siriya Thirumadal||2673||2712||40||Thirumangai alvar|
|22||Peria Thirumadal||2713||2790||78||Thirumangai alvar|
|24||Ramanuja Nootrandhadi||3893||4000||108||Thiruvarangathu Amudhanaar|
|Total number of pasurams||4000||4000||-|
Wonderful English translations of Nalayira Divya Prabandham is available
- Carman, John (1989). The Tamil Veda: Pillan's Interpretation of the Tiruvaymoli. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. p. 4.
- Bruce M. Sullivan. Historical Dictionary of Hinduism. Scarecrow Press. p. 217.
- "thoo nilA mutRam". Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- "Tribute to Sriman Naatha Muni". Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- "Table showing details of 4000 pasurams". srivaishnavam.com. Retrieved 2007-06-20. External link in
Nalayiram Text in different formats and languages
- 4000 divya prabhandham in Tamil and English - index for downloading full books as well as every ten pasurams individually along with telugu version for key pasurams. Other key supplementary texts for Divya Prabhandam such as Thiruvoi mozhi nootrandhadi, Yethiraja vimsadhi, Mumukshupadi , Guru Paramapara and rare texts, articles, vyakhyanams, discourses available.
- 4000 Divyaprabhandam pdf in English, Tamil, Sanskrit Kannada, Telugu and Malayalam languages.
- Divyaprabhandam in Tamil, Telugu, Sanskrit. Thiruvomozhi availabale in convenient 100 song size. Click on downloads/ free downloads
- 4000 Divya Prabhandam In Roman text, pdf formats.*
- Tamil Virtual University Library.
- Download complete 4000 Divya prabhandam as a convenient single 2.16 MB pdf file. Only downside is dhanians are not complete.
- 4000 divya prabhandham available as separate files in pdf and unicode formats for every 1000
- Entire 4000 and supplementary texts and other mantras as a single epub file in tamil font
- Nalayiram in English/ Roman text. Useful to quote, copy, paste
- Prabhandam in English Text. Quite useful to cut and paste relevant pasurams.
- Divya Prabhandam by DivyaDesam - extremely relevant for pilgrims travelling to 108 Divya Desam
- Lists pasurams numbers relevant to individual Divya Desam from all Azhwar's composition
- Nalayiram pasurams in Tamil unicode under four convenient links easy to copy paste
Nalayiram with Meaning or Vyakyanam (detailed commentary)
- Entire 4000 Divya Prabhandam verses with PBA Swamy's meaning in Tamil and Araiyar Swami Sri Rama Bharathi's translation in English. Very useful for reference purposes.
- For the first time online - Eedu 36,000 indepth commentary for Thiruvoimozhi at Tamil Virtual University Library
- English text , Tamil Document and English meaning for Periya Thiromozhi.
- Thiruvoimozhi in Roman text and meaning.
- Thiruppavai with meaning.
Nalayiram Pasurangal - Audio
Sites Relevant to Nalayiram Divya Prabandham
- Articles on Divya Prabandham, Azhvars, Divya Desams and more
- A comprehensive translation of Naalayira (4000) Divya Prabhandham
- Dictionary of Hindu Lore and Legend (ISBN 0-500-51088-1) by Anna Dallapiccola
- Hymns of the Azhwars
- Best collection of Pictures of Shriman Nathamunigal(who regained the 4000 Divya Prabhandam) and Shri Alavandar at their birthplace Chaturvedimangalam also known as Kuppankuzhi.