|Public limited company|
Carphone Warehouse Group
|Founded||7 August 2014|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Sir Charles Dunstone (Chairman)
Sebastian James (CEO)
|Revenue||£9.936 billion (2015)|
|£381 million (2015)|
|£293 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|over 40,000 (2015)|
Dixons Carphone plc is a multinational electrical and telecommunications retailer and services company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It was formed on 7 August 2014 by the merger of Dixons Retail and Carphone Warehouse Group. It operates under a number of brands across the United Kingdom, Ireland and mainland Europe. These include Currys, PC World and Carphone Warehouse in the United Kingdom; Elkjøp in the Nordic countries and Kotsovolos in Greece. The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
Following shareholder agreement in July 2014, the £3.8 billion merged entity was launched on 7 August 2014: on the first day of trading the shares in the merged business were owned 50:50 by the former Dixons Retail and former Carphone Warehouse shareholders. Carphone Warehouse's Sir Charles Dunstone has been appointed chairman and Sebastian James, CEO of Dixons, has become chief executive.
UK and Ireland
- Carphone Warehouse / Phone House - mobile phone retailer
- Currys / Currys Digital - specialises in home electronics and household appliances
- PC World - specialises in computing. Increasingly combined with Currys in dual-branded stores
- Knowhow - a provider after-sales product support and cover and provides home delivery and installations and repairs.
- Dixons Travel - a retailer operating in the UK's main airports, and Dublin International Airport in the Republic of Ireland.
- Geek Squad - the insurance, repairs & support provider for Carphone Warehouse.
- Elgiganten - ("Electrical Giant") sells home electronics and household appliances in Denmark and Sweden
- Elkjøp - ("Electrical Buy") sells home electronics and household appliances in Norway
- Gigantti - ("Giant") sells home electronics and household appliances in Finland
- Lefdal - sells home electronics from larger stores in Norway
- Dixons Travel - operating in Copenhagen Airport. Similar concept as the UK/Dublin ones.
The Knowhow brand is also present in the Nordic stores.
- Kotsovolos - sells home electronics in Greece
- Phone House - mobile phone retailer in Spain and Portugal
- PC City – a chain of computer superstores in Italy
- "Preliminary Results 2015" (PDF).
- "Who We Are". Dixons Carphone. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Dixons and Carphone warehouse merge to exploit internet of things". Marketing Week. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 1 Sep 2014.
- "Dixons and Carphone Warehouse shares drop on merger". BBC News. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Ruddick, Graham (15 May 2014). "Carphone Warehouse and Dixons agree £3.8bn merger". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Dixons Carphone unveils new stores". BBC. 7 August 2014. Retrieved 7 August 2014.