|Public limited company|
|Traded as||LSE: DC.|
Carphone Warehouse Group
|Founded||7 August 2014|
Number of locations
|2,139 stores (2017)|
|United Kingdom, Ireland, Mainland Europe|
(Group Chief Executive)
|Revenue||£10.58 billion (2017)|
|£501 million (2017)|
|£386 million (2017)|
Number of employees
Dixons Carphone plc is a multinational electrical and telecommunications retailer and services company headquartered in London, formed on 7 August 2014 by the merger of Dixons Retail and Carphone Warehouse Group. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange, and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
The company operates under a number of brands in the United Kingdom, Ireland and mainland Europe. These include Currys, PC World, Team Knowhow and Carphone Warehouse in the United Kingdom; Dixons Travel in airports in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Oslo; Currys PC World and Carphone Warehouse in the Republic of Ireland; Elkjøp in Norway; Elgiganten/Gigantti in the other Nordic countries; and Kotsovolos in Greece.
Following shareholder agreement in July 2014, the £3.8 billion merged entity was launched on 7 August 2014; on the first day of trading the shares in the merged business were owned 50:50 by the former Dixons Retail and former Carphone Warehouse shareholders. Carphone Warehouse's Sir Charles Dunstone was appointed chairman, and Sebastian James became chief executive.
The company owns the following brands:
United Kingdom and Ireland
- Carphone Warehouse – mobile phone retailer
- Currys / Currys Digital – specialises in home electronics and household appliances
- PC World – specialises in computing; increasingly combined with Currys in dual branded stores
- Team Knowhow (rebranded from Knowhow in July 2017) – a provider of after sales product support and cover; provides home delivery, installations and repairs
- Dixons Travel – a retailer operating in the main airports in the United Kingdom, Dublin Airport in Ireland, and on board P&O's cruise ship Ventura
- iD Mobile – a 4G mobile network operator (United Kingdom)
- Elgiganten – ("Electrical Giant") sells home electronics and household appliances in Denmark and Sweden
- Elkjøp – ("Electrical Buy") sells home electronics and household appliances in Norway
- Gigantti – ("Giant") sells home electronics and household appliances in Finland
- Dixons Travel – operating in Oslo Airport
The KnowHow brand is also present in the Nordic stores.
- Kotsovolos – sells home electronics and household appliances in Greece
Data security breaches
- "Year In Review". Dixons Carphone. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Annual Report and Accounts 2016/17" (PDF). Dixons Carphone. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Dixons and Carphone warehouse merge to exploit internet of things". Marketing Week. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 1 Sep 2014.
- "Dixons and Carphone Warehouse shares drop on merger". BBC News. 15 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Ruddick, Graham (15 May 2014). "Carphone Warehouse and Dixons agree £3.8bn merger". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Dixons Carphone unveils new stores". BBC News. 7 August 2014. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Brands". Dixons Carphone. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Carphone Warehouse fined £400,000 after serious failures placed customer and employee data at risk". ICO. Information Commisioner's Office. 10 January 2018. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- "Investigation Into Unauthorised Data Access". Investis. RNS London Stock Exchange. 13 June 2018. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- "Nine million more hit by Dixons data breach". BBC News: Business. 31 July 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2018.