|Studio album by Split Enz|
|Released||29 August 1977|
|Recorded||June – July 1977|
|Label||Mushroom Records (AUS, NZ), Chrysalis Records (Rest of world)|
|Producer||Geoff Emerick, Split Enz|
|Split Enz chronology|
Dizrythmia (1977) is the third album released by New Zealand new wave band, Split Enz. It was the first Split Enz album without co-founding members Phil Judd and Mike Chunn. Neil Finn and Nigel Griggs, the first being the younger brother of band leader Tim Finn, replaced them respectively. Meanwhile, Nigel's old friend and former bandmate Malcolm Green took the place of Emlyn Crowther who also left around this time. The album was released domestically by Mushroom Records, and overseas by Chrysalis Records.
The single "My Mistake" was a hit in New Zealand and Australia, but failed to make much impact overseas. "Bold as Brass" was the second single. The album is regarded as the start of the band's breakthrough, and marked a shift from art rock to more pop-oriented songs.
The album's title comes from circadian dysrhythmia, more commonly known as jet lag.
The back cover was originally intended as the front cover. Both were designed by Noel Crombie, who also designed the band's costumes.
Tim Finn coughs forty-four seconds into "Nice To Know", a feature erroneously left in the final mix.
Both Tim Finn and Eddie Rayner were disappointed with the final mix of "Charlie" feeling that the vocals sounded very flat. Geoff Emerick, the engineer for the album thought it was a beautiful vocal however, so it stayed.
- Songs written by Tim Finn, except where noted.
|1.||"Bold as Brass"||Tim Finn, Robert Gillies||3:31|
|2.||"My Mistake"||Tim Finn, Eddie Rayner||3:02|
|3.||"Parrot Fashion Love"||Tim Finn, Eddie Rayner||3:53|
|4.||"Sugar and Spice"||Phil Judd||3:52|
|5.||"Without a Doubt"||Tim Finn||6:00|
|2.||"Charlie *"||Tim Finn||5:31|
|3.||"Nice to Know"||Tim Finn, Phil Judd, Eddie Rayner||4:24|
|4.||"Jamboree"||Tim Finn, Phil Judd, Eddie Rayner, Noel Crombie, Malcolm Green, Robert Gillies, Mike Chunn||6:43|
|Bonus Track for 2006 Re-release|
|10.||"Another Great Divide"||Phil Judd, Tim Finn, Eddie Rayner||3:37|
* Spelt "Charley" on some releases.
|Chart (1977)||Peak |
- Timothy Finn – vocals, acoustic guitar, piano
- Neil Finn – vocals, guitars, mandolin
- Edward Rayner – keyboards
- Noel Crombie – vocals, percussion Not credited on sleeve on 2006 remaster
- Robert Gillies – saxophones, trumpet
- Malcolm Green – drums
- Nigel Griggs – bass
- Mal Jacobson – sonor drums and percussion
- Phil Judd – vocals, guitar on bonus track Another Great Divide available on the 2006 re-release
- Mike Chunn – vocals, bass on bonus track Another Great Divide available on the 2006 re-release
- All arrangements by Split Enz
- Remastered by Eddie Rayner and Adrian Stuckey at Bignote Studios, Australia, March/April 2006
- Produced by Geoff Emerick and Split Enz
- Engineered by Geoff Emerick
- Assistant Engineer: Colin Fairley
- Additional Engineering by Peter Henderson, assisted by Nigel Walker
- Recorded at Air Studios, London, W.1. June/July 1977
- Sleeve Design: Noel Crombie, Peter Wagg
- Photos by Han Chew Tham
- Lest we forget Phil and Jonathan
- A special thank you to Geoff and Colin for their unfailing good humour and inspiration
- Enzology - Episode 4: Dizrythmia (Radio New Zealand National)