Djerba–Zarzis International Airport
|Djerba–Zarzis International Airport
Aéroport international de Djerba-Zarzis
مطار جربة جرجيس الدولي
|Operator||Tunisian Civil Aviation & Airports Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||14 ft / 4 m|
|Statistics (2006, 2011)|
Djerba–Zarzis International Airport (French: Aéroport international de Djerba-Zarzis, Tunisian Arabic: مطار جربة جرجيس الدولي) (IATA: DJE, ICAO: DTTJ) is the international airport serving the island of Djerba in Tunisia. The airport began operation in 1970 and today is an important destination for seasonal leisure flights.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- On 6 August 2005, Tuninter Flight 1153, a Tuninter ATR-72 en route from Bari to Djerba, Tunisia, ditched into the Mediterranean Sea about 18 miles from the city of Palermo. 16 of the 39 people on board died. The accident resulted from engine fuel starvation that resulted from the installation of the wrong fuel quantity indicator. The fuel quantity indicator installed had been calibrated for the smaller ATR-42 aircraft and showed significantly more fuel than was actually in the tank of the larger ATR 72. When the aircraft ran out of fuel, the indicator still showed 1800 kilograms of fuel remaining thus confusing the crew for several minutes. Both engines stopped and the crew was forced to ditch the airliner in the sea.
- The airport was a stopover for Air Berlin chartered flight AB7377, which was involved in a bomb scare. During loading at Hosea Kutako International Airport in Namibia, a suitcase was discovered that contained a clock, batteries and a firing mechanism. Upon closer inspection, it was discovered that the object was part of a test to assess the quality of airport screening procedures. The A330-200 aircraft was examined with an explosives sniffer dog, before it was allowed to fly to Munich Airport, via a stopover in Djerba.
- Airports Council International (ACI)
- "L'apport de l'OACA dans le tourisme" (in French). OACA. Archived from the original on 3 September 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- Airport information for DTTJ at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for DJE at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Djerba–Zarzis International Airport at Office de l'Aviation Civile et des Aeroports (OACA)
- fr:Aéroport international de Djerba-Zarzis#cite note-1, Retrieved 6 June 2015[better source needed]
- "Germania Planned New S15 Routes as of 19NOV14". Airline Route. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Cheap flights, hotel deals, rental car - vueling.com". Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Harro Ranter (6 August 2005). "ASN Aircraft accident ATR-72-202 TS-LBB Palermo-Punta Raisi Airport (PMO)". Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Air Berlin-Flieger: Bombe nur Attrappe?". Retrieved 6 June 2015.