In its industry sector, dm-drogerie markt is Germany's largest retailer measured by revenues. The company is known for its flat hierarchical structures and high level of social commitment. For founder Götz Werner, the well-being of employees is more important than the company's returns.
As of September 2016 dm has 3,349 stores in twelve European countries. In the 1970s dm only had outlets in Germany and Austria. In the 1990s it opened stores in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Croatia. In the 2000s the company expanded to Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Romania, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, and Italy.
In March 2017, for the first time in its history, dm-drogerie markt started selling to consumers outside Europe with an Alibaba Tmall Global cross-border flagship store to China. This expansion was initiated and is managed by a Shanghai-based Tmall Partner oddity Asia.
Stores by countries
|Country||Year of entering the market||Number of stores|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||2006||70|
- Rekordumsatz: Der Siegeszug der Drogeriekette DM. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 24 October 2013 (in German)
- Best Brands Awards: Götz Werner ist die beste Unternehmermarke. Wirtschaftswoche, 7 February 2013 (in German)
- "dm in Europa". dm Germany (official website). Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "Web2Asia launches dm-drogerie markt on Alibaba Tmall Global". 2017-03-06. Retrieved 2017-03-10.
- "Unternehmenszahlen". DM.de. 30 September 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2019.