Dmitri Lipskerov was born in 1964 in Moscow, into the family of a well-known dramatist and animator Mikhail Lipskerov (with whom he is not to be confused). Upon graduating from the prestigious Schukin Theater Academy in 1985, he started writing plays and joined the Soviet Writers Union in 1989. In the early 1990s his plays were staged by some of the foremost Russian directors (Mark Zakharov, Oleg Tabakov). The Forty Years of Chanchzhoeh appeared in Novyi Mir in 1996 and the following year was published by Vagrius. Five more novels and two collections of shorter works were published as of 2005. All of his novels have been nominated, and The Forty Years of Chanchzhoeh short-listed, for the Russian Booker Prize.
In 1998 he became one of the founders of the "Debut" prize for works of fiction by young Russian writers.
A little know fact about Dmitri is that his book Vsyakiy Capitan Primadonna (Any Captain is a Primadonna) was published after Dmitri himself sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, from the Caribbean to Europe, having never before had any experience sailing. The book includes comical snippets that are excerpts from his real life experience of crossing the Atlantic with only two other people on board.
Lipskerov lives in Moscow, and in addition to his literary work, is known as a successful restaurant owner. Dmitri's most prominent restaurant, cleverly named, "Ris i Riba" ("Rice and Fish") is one of the largest and oldest and widely regarded as one of the best sushi establishments in Moscow and all of Russia.
On June 3, 2005, Lipskerov (together with radio personality A.Gordon) has circulated an "Open letter to journalists of radio station Echo of Moscow"  expressing support for state-run campaign against Mikhail Khodorkovsky directed on takeover of his oil company Yukos which culminated in Khodorkovski's conviction and imprisonment. In subsequent discussions  there followed allegations of revival of Soviet tradition of KGB-orchestrated participation of intelligentsia in 'public campaign of protest' along with staged show trials.
- Sorok let Chanchzhoe (The Forty Years of Chanchzhoeh) - 1997
- Prostranstvo Gotliba (The Gottlieb's Space) - 1998
- Poslednii Son Razuma (Last Dream of Reason) - 2000
- Pal'tsy dlia Kerolain (Fingers for Caroline) - 2001
- Rodichi (Relatives) - 2001
- Edipov Kompleks (Oedipus Complex) - 2002
- Russkoe stakkato - britanskoi materi (Russian Staccato for the British Mother) - 2002
- Oseni ne budet nikogda (Autumn Never Comes) - 2004
- Leonid Obyazatelno Umret (Leonid Will Certainly Die) - 2006
- Demoni v Rayu (Demons in Heaven) - 2008
- Myaso Snegerya (The Meat of a Bullfinch) - 2009
- Vsyakiy Kapitan Primadonna (Any Captain is a Primadonna) - 2011
- Teoria Opisavshegovsia Malchika (The Theory of the Boy Who Wet Himself) - 2013
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-01-10. Retrieved 2006-08-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)| Site of 'Human rights Organization', in Russian
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-02-18. Retrieved 2006-08-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)| Transcript from Russian Radio Liberty