Balandin in 2016
|Full name||Dmitriy Igorevich Balandin|
|Born||April 4, 1995|
|Height||1.95 m (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||85 kg (187 lb)|
Dmitriy Igorevich Balandin (Kazakh: Дмитрий Игоревич Баландин; born 4 April 1995) is a Kazakh breaststroke swimmer. He won the 200 m breaststroke at the 2016 Summer Olympics, as well as the 50, 100 and 200 m breaststroke events at the 2014 Asian Games.
Balandin currently holds two Kazakh records in the 100 and 200 m breaststroke, and also set a historic milestone for his nation by striking the breaststroke triple at the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea.
In the 2016 Rio Olympics, Balandin won a gold medal in the 200 m breaststroke, setting up new national record with 2:07.46. This was his first Olympic medal, and Kazakhstan's first-ever medal in a swimming event.
Balandin emerged as an unexpected medal contender at the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, where he competed in all breaststroke events. In the men's 200 m breaststroke, Balandin moved from a top seed in the prelims to stun the entire crowd and crush the twelve-year-old meet record set by Japanese swimmer and four-time Olympic champion Kosuke Kitajima in a time of 2:07.67 for the gold medal, jumping him into third in the world rankings. The following day, in the men's 100 m breaststroke, Balandin threw down a Kazakh record in 59.92 to pick up his second gold of the meet. Additionally, he raced his stretch to overhaul a minute barrier for the first time in Asian Games history. On the final day of swimming, Balandin completed a remarkable meet with another Games record of 27.78 for his third straight gold of the meet in the 50 m breaststroke.
Personal best times
|50 m breaststroke||27.24||Kazan||4 August 2015|
|100 m breaststroke||59.38||Kazan||2 August 2015|
|200 m breaststroke||2:07.46||Rio de Janeiro||10 August 2016||NR|
- "Dmitriy Balandin". Incheon 2014. Archived from the original on 24 September 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Boring blown out of the water by Kazakhstan's speedy pair". Hong Kong Standard. Archived from the original on 2 December 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Olympic swimming results 2016: Dmitriy Balandin wins men's 200m breaststroke, first swimming medal for Kazakhstan". SB Nation. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "China Dominates Third Night of Swimming at Asian Games". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- Xu, Haijing (23 September 2014). "China sweeps 6 more golds to lead swim tally". GlobalPost. Archived from the original on 26 September 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "China Sets Asian Record in 400 Free Relay to Close Night". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Linden, Julian (24 September 2014). "Hagino and Shen each collect fourth golds at Asiad". Incheon: Reuters. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "China Caps Amazing Meet With Four More Golds at Asian Games". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Kazakhstani swimmer Dmitriy Balandin wins 3 gold medals at Asian Games". Tengri. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dmitriy Balandin.|
|This biographical article related to a Kazakhstani swimmer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|