|Ukrainian: Полк патрульної служби поліції особливого призначення «Дніпро-1»|
Dnipro-1 Regiment shoulder sleeve insignia
|Type||Police tactical unit|
|Engagements||War in Donbass|
• Battle of Ilovaisk
The unit was first established as "Dnipro-1" Special Tasks Patrol Police Battalion in April 2014 on a voluntary basis as the response to 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine. Its assignments include duties at multiple checkpoints in the south-eastern part of Ukraine. The unit claims to have hired Romanian and Georgian military advisers to help with the training of troops. Before June 2014 this training was often just one week. It first operated outside Dnipropetrovsk Oblast in May 2014.
The militia unit, nicknamed Kolomoyskyi's battalion, is funded by the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine and also through the charitable organization "Fund Dnipro-1". Ukrainian oligarch Ihor Kolomoyskyi (who was Governor of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast during the 2014 pro-Russian conflict in Ukraine) is believed to have spent $10 million to create the unit.
On 24 December 2014, Amnesty International reported that the unit was blocking humanitarian aid sent from Ukraine by another Ukrainian oligarch Rinat Akhmetov reaching the population in the separatist-controlled areas; over half the population in these areas depend on food aid. The reason the aid is being blocked by the Dnipro, Aidar and Donbass battalions is that the battalions "believe food and clothing are ending up in the wrong hands and may be sold instead of being given as humanitarian aid." Denis Krivosheev, acting Director of Europe and Central Asia for Amnesty International, stated that "Using starvation of civilians as a method of warfare is a war crime".[neutrality is disputed]
Commander of the unit Yuriy Bereza is since the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election a member of the Ukrainian parliament for the People's Front; he was placed 10th on the parties election list. Member of the unit Volodymyr Parasyuk was also elected into parliament during these elections by winning the electoral district of Yavoriv with 56.56% of the votes.
- The secret of eastern Ukraine’s one rebel-free region, The Wall Street Journal, July 8, 2014.
- Ukrainian city stays quiet amid war, The Washington Post, June 25, 2014.
- (in Russian) Батальон "Днепр" взял контроль над железной дорогой , Vesti.ua, May 30, 2014.
- (in Russian) МВД Украины создает спецподразделения по охране общественного порядка, TASS, April 15, 2014.
- The Town Determined to Stop Putin, The Daily Beast (12 June 2014)
- Ukraine's Secret Weapon: Feisty Oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky, The Wall Street Journal (June 27, 2014)
- Ukraine’s fractures: Interview with Volodymyr Ishchenko in 'New Left Review', (Ukrainian socialist Volodymyr Ishchenko is the founding editor in Ukraine of the journal ″Spilne″), New Left Review, № 8, May–June 2014.
- (in Ukrainian) Всі бажаючі можуть допомогти батальйону «Дніпро» і Полку національного захисту, Dnipropetrovsk news, May 19, 2014.
- Here are the payment requisites for sending funds for the battalion "Dnepr" and the Regiment of national protection needs, Interfax-Ukraine (28 May 2014)
- Amnesty International, "Eastern Ukraine: Humanitarian disaster looms as food aid blocked", Amnesty International 24 December 2014.
- People's Front names top ten candidates in elections, Ukrinform (September 15, 2014)
- Poroshenko Bloc to have greatest number of seats in parliament Archived November 10, 2014, at the Wayback Machine, Ukrainian Television and Radio (8 November 2014)
People's Front 0.33% ahead of Poroshenko Bloc with all ballots counted in Ukraine elections - CEC Archived November 12, 2014, at the Wayback Machine, Interfax-Ukraine (8 November 2014)
Poroshenko Bloc to get 132 seats in parliament - CEC, Interfax-Ukraine (8 November 2014)
- (in Ukrainian) Candidates and winner for the seat in constituency 122 in the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election, RBK Ukraine
(in Ukrainian) Volodymyr Parasyuk very short bio, RBK Ukraine
Video of first brawl in Verkhovna Rada becomes a YouTube hit, Kyiv Post (5 December 2014)
- (in Ukrainian) Volunteer detachments fighting in Donbass